Is this Pop Eye? (photos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Winkeler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Guys,
My family and I are new aquarium enthusiasts and recently added 3 Zebra Danios to our tank. Being new, we didn't think to inspect the fish that the store was grabbing in the tank. To our uneducated eyes, all of the fish looked the same and we didn't have the presence of mind to inspect them in the bag.
Anyway, when we got home we discovered that one of them had an issue with its eye, it seemed kinda dark, maybe missing. The fish' behavior seemed like the others, it was darting around the tank exploring and playing in the outlet of the filter. Upon closer investigation, it looked like the eye was maybe bulging outward. Being new guys, we figured that the fish sustained an injury during capture at the store or possibly in the crowded tank.
The fish have been with us 10 days and things don't seem to be worsening with the fish, nor do they seem to be getting better. I have snapped a couple photos and hope that you guys can help me deduce whats going on with our fish and maybe recommend a course of action or at least something to be wary of.

Here's a head on shot:
patch_headon.jpg

Side view of bad eye:
patch_bad_side.jpg

Thanks in advance,
John

Looks like the eyes are cloudy. You say the fish are darting around? I would suggest checking for ammonia or a very low pH. I've had this happen to my Columbian shark when the pH level dropped below 6 and there was slight ammonia present in the tank. Shark's eyes got cloudy. After 50% water change they became clear within an hour or so.

I would start with checking your water for ammonia, nitrite, pH...and do a 50% water change.

I guess "darting" is a poor choice of words in the fish community. I meant to say that the fish is chasing and swimming with the other danios, almost endlessly cruising the tank twisting and chasing with the pack.

Water parameters are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate 5-10
pH 7.4

As I indicated, the fish was received this way and has lived in the tank with parameters, as indicated above, for 10 days.

For now, I have moved it to a newly configured "hospital" tank for observation and treatment.

Thanks for the response,
John

Heyaah,
I have zebra danios and i havent had this problem nor have a heard of it before. It looks actually like the eye is missing,
Try ringing your LFS where you got them and take it to them and ask their manager to inspect it ?

to me it looks like the eyes are there just very cloudy. I'm willing to bet it was caused by ammonia burn at your LFS.

Back
Top Bottom