is this rock safe for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swifterz

Aquarium Advice Activist
rock.jpg

these things are there for the taking all around me IF it's safe to use. i have no idea what it is. that isn't dirt on the rock though. it's been thoroughly rinsed and scrubbed. that's just it's coloration.

can anyone identify it? will it be ok in my tank?

Be careful boiling rocks! If there's any trapped gas pockets, they will blow.

Test it with vinegar (fizzing is bad). Then place it into a bucket of treated water and measure the pH at 24hr intervals for a few days.

it is not wise to boil or heat up rocks. it looks like some type of quartz to me but that doesnt mean the whole thing is. there can be deposits of other minerals trapped with the quartz so the best thing to do is what HN1 said. get a bucket of water treated with declorinator and test the water params. wait 24 hours then test again. place rock into water and wait another 24 hours to test and see if there is any change. i would continue testing every 24 hours for 1 week and if you dont see any bad numbers it should be safe.

As HN1 and FishEggs said, run it through a ph test first. Then after all that soaking, if it is safe, just run it through the dishwasher (without soap of course) for that last good clean. Works good for some driftwoods too. Just don't let it go on the dry cycle if you do driftwood.

If it doesnt bubble with vinegar try the test with Ph Down.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to use that. Seems like a costlier solution, but should work. Have you (or anyone) tried using a sodium bisulfate mix to test rock with? Tech grade NaHSO3 should be really cheap and that's essentially what comprises API's pH down from what I've read.

its more acidic then vinegar, I had some pass the vinegar test but not the Ph Down test, next test was muratic acid but didnt go that far yet.

It is costlier but I got a ton of them little bottles from my wifes grandfather who tore his set up down and it now resides with me, so in my direct case it was a freebie.

I have no idea where to get S. biosulfate to make the mix, I just get S. Theosulfate in raw form.

Back
Top Bottom