Is this soil fish friendly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also can I put fish in my tank with this substrate? I am going to layer with gravel, will I need to rinse this before putting it in my tank?

I am desperate for dirt substrates, any help would be appreciated

Alright, will continue the search, looks like i'm going to be growing vegetables too hahaha since it was cheap and I don't want to go back to walmart, The Ironman Triathlon is going on here (hawaii).

Thanks for the advise.

I won't use that or anything that says fertilizer in my tank I only used miracle grow organic potting mix and I added some red clay. It's being more than a month now and is all good.

What is different about chicken poo that makes it okay for aquariums? I would have thought any manure would cause an ammonia spike :confused:
That bag says it has worm castings.

The ammonia spike can probably happen in any dirted tank.

I think it's got something to do with the ammonia/urea content of the soil. This is something out of Diana Walsted's book, who I'll take at face value with respect to dirted tank.

I wouldn't use chicken or cow manure unless you are absolutely certain it is well composted. That ingredient list sounds OK to me, though. Perlite has a tendency to float so you'll likely lose much of it when you rinse the soil. No biggie though, it doesn't serve much of a purpose in aquatic applications anyhow.

I wouldn't use chicken or cow manure unless you are absolutely certain it is well composted. That ingredient list sounds OK to me, though. Perlite has a tendency to float so you'll likely lose much of it when you rinse the soil. No biggie though, it doesn't serve much of a purpose in aquatic applications anyhow.

Think I will try this then. =)

Back
Top Bottom