Is this tank to small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ads_1205

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My girlfriends parents have a cold water fish tank. It's 19 litres so it is only small. They have what I think is a black moor in there.

Is this tank too small for a fish this size and what would be recommended size tank for this fish?

They have said he is not feeding properly and I believe this could be down to the size of the tank.

(see pictures)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425244333.200621.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425244372.453630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was going to say a 40 or 50/55 would be ideal. If they want to keep that size tank they need to skip any sort of Goldie's all together. A group of small nano fish would work. I had to double check but according to the conversion page 19L is about 5 gallons so there are very few options. Maybe a single betta.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425678207.495734.jpg

Fancy GF should be in min 29g. But still not much swimming room for an adult. I would recommend a 40g or larger. If they ever want to let him have friends, a 75 gallon is probably an ideal size. Filtration should be four times the water volume in a goldfish tank, usually canisters are best.

These fish can live over 15yrs with good care.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Yes but i feel that goldfish have been selectively bred so much that they have adapted to happily living in small containers. Now i dont agree with bowls and vases used as tanks, but a ten gallon for one or maybe even two black moors has served a pair of fantails for quite a few happy years, so i believe just one moor in a ten gallon would be happy. And it would definitely be a good upgrade compared to the tank in question.

a black Moore can get to be about the size of a soft ball aprox 4/6 inchs
along with the pot belly gold fish
40 b would be the least
I have 2 big gold fish almost 8 inch long yes they get big

I've read black Moore getting up to 8 inches. I'd go no less than 20 gallons and if it's 20 that's a species only fish tank just him. Goldfish are also messy eaters. Be sure to clean the tank often. My brother has a black Moore and it LOVES zucchini if you wanted to try that.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

He doesn't really look like a black moor? I do agree tank is too small.

I had a black Moore he was massive they get really big
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425694717.267400.jpg

My eldest blackmoor is bout 6inches and he's only 2-3years old. (Adopted so not sure exactly) and he could live for fifteen years. I have 6 fancy goldfish in a 465litre (119gallons) tank and I even thinkng. When they all hit 6inch plus its gona be just about enough space. Yeah a black moor might live happily in a 10gallon tank for a few years but 15year plus doubt it v much. And its Internal organs will be stunted and won't grow properly.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

a 10 gallon would be fine. that tank is too small.

Yes but i feel that goldfish have been selectively bred so much that they have adapted to happily living in small containers. Now i dont agree with bowls and vases used as tanks, but a ten gallon for one or maybe even two black moors has served a pair of fantails for quite a few happy years, so i believe just one moor in a ten gallon would be happy. And it would definitely be a good upgrade compared to the tank in question.

Completely disagree with these comments, excepting the part about the tank being too small.

Please review the link already provided, here again in case you missed it. It should REALLY change your perspective. I know it did mine and I already knew the GF need a bigger space to thrive and live for years!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom