Is this the right ammonia for dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So in ready to begin my cycle, just want to make sure I have the right product before I put it in. It's old country ammonia. Bottle says it contains no phosphates or fragrances. Also for a 10 gallon tank how much should I use to get my 4ppm? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389821926.671528.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389821944.219878.jpg

I am not personally familiar with this brand of ammonia. I do not see anything 'suspect' on the label but you may want to look up the MSDS for this product to see if there are any other ingredients (such as surfectants) and what the percent of ammonium hydroxide is. A simple test is to shake the bottle- if it foams, then its not aquarium suitable. Some bubbles (such as when you shake a bottle of water) is fine but it should not bubble/foam like dishsoap.

The easiest method to dose is the plug in your numbers into the calculator below and it will give you the precise dose. However, you will need the percent of ammonium hydroxide to do this. The bottle likely has contact information for the company that makes it. I would honestly only dose this tank to @2ppm unless you plan on heavily stocking it. Small tanks can sometimes be a bit trickier to cycle so it will be easier to start with a low dose and gradually work up (if need be).

Calculator

I am not personally familiar with this brand of ammonia. I do not see anything 'suspect' on the label but you may want to look up the MSDS for this product to see if there are any other ingredients (such as surfectants) and what the percent of ammonium hydroxide is. A simple test is to shake the bottle- if it foams, then its not aquarium suitable. Some bubbles (such as when you shake a bottle of water) is fine but it should not bubble/foam like dishsoap.

The easiest method to dose is the plug in your numbers into the calculator below and it will give you the precise dose. However, you will need the percent of ammonium hydroxide to do this. The bottle likely has contact information for the company that makes it. I would honestly only dose this tank to @2ppm unless you plan on heavily stocking it. Small tanks can sometimes be a bit trickier to cycle so it will be easier to start with a low dose and gradually work up (if need be).

Calculator

I agree 2ppm would be better in a smaller tank.

I used Dr.Tims Ammonium Chloride for Fishless Cycling and its worked. I was afraid to use non fish ammonia ---from Ace etc.:ermm:
Or you could use fish food. :cool:

Old Country ammonia is fine. Customer service said that there are no additives and it's between 5-10% ammonia.

To get to 4 ppm try dosing a ml, and then check where it's at. Then just adjust it from there.

Remember to wait at least 30 mins before testing after dosing.

Back
Top Bottom