Is this the right bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nivi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im new here, can you guys help me out. I just got a planted 10G tank for a month. I bought this new branded "GLO" bulb, 8watts 12" long T5, 18000K, as stated on box its suitable for FW, SW, coral, invertebrates and planted aquarium.

Was wondering did i buy the right bulb, as my LFS said it was alright for plant?

Should i buy 2 T5 bulbs for my tank as it can hold 2 since i want to have medium-high light tank? Btw this bulb looks dull with blueish color for my tank.

Thank you for reading and give me some advice pls.

personally think a daylight bulb would be better. look for 6500k up to 10000k.

Is your fixture designed to run a single bulb? I have a cheap 2-bulb fixture that doesn't like to run one bulb. If you pull the second bulb, the first goes very dim.

Get a second bulb in the 6500K range and put it in your fixture. See if the first bulb doesn't brighten up.

BigJim said:
Is your fixture designed to run a single bulb? I have a cheap 2-bulb fixture that doesn't like to run one bulb. If you pull the second bulb, the first goes very dim.

Get a second bulb in the 6500K range and put it in your fixture. See if the first bulb doesn't brighten up.

Since its made for 2 bulbs i just change the old normal bulb and leave the purple bulb (acetic?) as it is. I heard a 18000k bulb could burn plants is it true?
Since I read in this forum as thumb of rule light should be around 5000k to 10000k is this true?

I like the Power-GLO bulbs (18000k) for my taller tanks; good viewing color, and the plants have no trouble with it. But for a 10 gallon? It's probably too much; the actinic (blue-violet) bulb may or may not be desirable either, more for color reasons than anything else. Good luck with the 7200k. Remember that changes in lighting may also cause changes in algae growth too.

Back
Top Bottom