is this the right sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountaindew

Aquarium Advice Regular
is this the right sand that we can use in our aquariums.kolorscape by old castle.The bag says small amount of silica added

Attachments

• 33469481_245.jpg
    33469481_245.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 402
it says right on the box, Not for hardscape, aquariums, or traction.

try using crushed coral or argonite

old castle play sand is the correct sand. I do not know what the packaging looks like, so I am not of much use to you there.

As far as using crushed coral, that is not a good idea as it will be very hard to control nitrates with that as a substrate. It traps entirely too much detritus.

mountaindew said:
The bag says small amount of silica added

its play sand MD, i dont think its so much a disclaimer, just to get out of legal problems, notice its not for hardscaping use also. i believe silica is posionous as well

I use plain old playsand in 5 of my tanks. I have had no issues. Sandbeds are 4 years old.

Can you tell me a source on where you heard silica is poisonous? I would be interested in reading this.

I agree with Hara, I know the silica based sand is more glass like and can cause problems with sand sifters/stirrers, but there are plenty of folks that use it. You can test the sand by adding a small amount of vinegar and if it fizzles/foams, that is the stuff you want.

Hara said:
Can you tell me a source on where you heard silica is poisonous? I would be interested in reading this.

i dont have a source, just years of my grandma and mom telling me "keep the silica packets away from your mouth" the ones you get from shoes...

further research revealed for me, that the hazard label was on there because its a choking hazard, not because its poisonous... my bad

in other news... finally my mom was wrong for once

Hara said:
As far as using crushed coral, that is not a good idea as it will be very hard to control nitrates with that as a substrate. It traps entirely too much detritus.

My only suggestion would be to repeat what Lisa said here.

melosu58 said:
Hara said:

My only suggestion would be to repeat what Lisa said here.
Actually, I third that. I had a CC substrate and removed it, due to the heavy maint and the limitations on sand sifting critters.

so did anyone ever say if the sand in the picture above is the right sand to use? I'm setting up a 100g this week & I'm looking for sand now.

It is fine, the use of silica in reef tank sand is exagerrated. And the "not for aquarium use" is something to do with the company and aquarium companies.

Means nothing.

The vinegar test is good to see if sand is aragonite based.

If it is, it will sizzle.

First. the silica packets as dessicants and the silica sand are two totally different things. Playground sand is silica sand and it would not be so if it was poisonous.

Second, the legal disclaimer comes from an agreement with Caribsea. If you get the playsand that fizzes in vinegar, it comes from the same quarry as the Caribsea stuff, they just can't market it as such. Caribsea has to justify the $20 per bag price they charge.

hc8719 said:
Hara said:

i dont have a source, just years of my grandma and mom telling me "keep the silica packets away from your mouth" the ones you get from shoes...

further research revealed for me, that the hazard label was on there because its a choking hazard, not because its poisonous... my bad

in other news... finally my mom was wrong for once

the only time i wouldnt recomend silca based sand is when u have rays sw or fw or fish that burry them selves or sharks. thats really the only reason people dont recomend silca based sand is because some people believe it iritates the fishes skin

Well actually it can be coarser but it is because people believe it slowly releases silica that leads to diatom growth.

Back
Top Bottom