Is this to much light for my lower tech tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO quad T5 is a lot of light, too much for just low light. Then again, who says you have to use all the bulbs in the fixture? You could just run 2 then if you want more of a challenge later on with more plants then add more bulbs.

Caleb

IMO quad T5 is a lot of light, too much for just low light. Then again, who says you have to use all the bulbs in the fixture? You could just run 2 then if you want more of a challenge later on with more plants then add more bulbs.

Caleb

+1 ^. Yeah, I would just run 2 bulbs.

Ok I thought so. Hows this for an idea. I have a spare dual t5 light fixture but its only 48 inches. How about I buy another 48 incher and use them both. That would get me a bit over 2 watts per gallon and would only cost me $50?

Watts per gallon isn't really a good measurement for how high of lighting you have. Depth of the tank, what type of fixture, and PAR are the main factors to consider. With T5's, there are many things to look for. HO and NO fixtures are vastly different. The number of bulbs are important too. Also, if your fixture has reflectors, it will heighten how much lighting you have. In your case, I'd recommend looking up PAR charts for whatever fixture you'd like to get. That way, you can be for sure that you'll have low lighting as you can see what PAR you'd have a certain depths and lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom