is this true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
im not sure if i imagined this, but i think i read somewhere that some people use real sea salt, the kind you can buy in a grocerie store, in their aquariums!! lol anyone know anything about this?

I believe it's 1 tablespoon per gallon, but I need someone to confirm that.

Also, certain fish don't like salt at all, ie, cory catfish, some scaleless fish, so I would make sure before adding any.

Aww you are getting ur lip pierced?!?! I used to have mine pierced..

What you do is you mix sea salt with warm water and you hold that up to your piercing. Its harder with your lip because its hard to soak your piercing in that area. But you soak it with salt water for 10-15min i believe

make sure its sea salt and not just table salt =o)

lmw80 said:
I believe it's 1 tablespoon per gallon, but I need someone to confirm that.

For treatment of diseases, about 0.3g% salt is recommended. That works out to about 3 tablespoons per 5 gal. 1 tbs/gal would be about 0.5g%, some people do use that high a salt concentration for goldies (I don't know if that is good for all fish!).

I add salt by weight (as there will be more salt per tablespoon if it is finer). 0.1g% = 4 grams/gal. So if I want 0.3g% in 20 gal, I would add 3 x 4 x 20 = 240 grams. <BTW, I only increase the salt by 0.1g% per day to minimize stress to the fish.>

sounds great, thanx everyone.

lyquidphyre, i have had my lip pierced for a month now and the whole time i've been using warm water and table salt. lol you USED to have your lip pierced? aww why did ya take it out? :(
i got my nose pierced today lol so now i know what's best for piercings :)

BTW, i finally added some sea salt in the QT for my black mollies, thanx again everyone!

After soaking with sea salt (a cotton ball dipped in warm salty water [1/4tsp-/1/4 cup water] will do), make sure you wash your piercings with soapy water (antibacterial soap is best) & work the soap back & forth into the piercing. Salt hardens when it dries & you don't want that inside your piercing. Soak for 20 minutes, 2x/day. BTW, I have 20 of them.

I remember years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out, I had to rinse with salt water (bleh) ... not sure what medicinal value it had or what it did ... but I do recall having to do that.

Wow, I want 20 piercings 8O

I took it out for a job interview at petsmart...... a job I didn't get might I add.

I liked my piercing, it was fun =o(

The worst part about a lip piercing is waking up, and breaking the piercing free from its gross, crustiness... you know what i talkin about yet? hehe

Also, with the lip ring, I suggest a sleek, beadless ring.. it rocks!

yep i went yesterday looking for new jewelery for my lip. cause im still wearin the one they first pierce it with, big and annoying silver ring :( so i wanna get a nice black one, but the girl workin at the tattoo place said theyre hard to find... so im thinkin a nice blue one to match my hair lol. yep i know what ya mean lyquidphyre, hurts in the morning... :( oh well, always clean with spectro-gel and q-tips :)

pufferpunk, sounds like a good idea on the labret :)

i might get in trouble here for not talkin about aquariums lol ! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom