Is this typical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forestwalker101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have MTS in my tank to mix the sand up and they do a good job. Most of the time the are under the sane and barely visibe. A few usually come up after feeding time to finish the left overs. So I did a big water change and this is what happened. Snail inception. Snails on snails on snails. Is this normal behavior? Is this a typical population? I thought about getting assassin snails but I have a mystery snail that I don't want killed. Advice? Another pic below.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1437351940830.jpg
    1437351940830.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 112
The other pic.

Attachments

• 1437352270194.jpg
    1437352270194.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 88
I'd say leave em be, they are beneficial in my eyes. They really aren't bothering anybody I guess. You have probably already had that many, but only a few at a time come at out. These snails are mostly night active so take a peek in there at night some normal night and see if it looks like that. Don't know why they came out after WC though.

My guess is that I was slacking on water changes and when the water quality improved they were more comfortable so they came out.

Hi. I have a community tank with tetras, corys, red cherry shrimp and loads of MTS. From experience I can say that an exploding population of MTS is due to over feeding. However, they do a pretty good job of turning over the substrate and keeping the oxygen levels good at the roots for the plants. I never have to do a gravel clean. If the numbers bother you then just remove the bigger ones, easiest when the tank lights have gone out, to stop further breeding for a while. I would not try to eradicate them though, they are really beneficial and more importantly, they don't eat live plants, unlike pond snails - Yuk!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's scary to see so many at once.

The outbreak on mine is even worse, and they are all very small since about 1 or 2 months. It's a fully planted tank and recently noticed my BN pleco seems to have disappeared. I'm pretty sure these MTS had a nice meal for a while...

Apparently snails are also magnetic. Like I said before my water change you couldn't see 1 snail.

Attachments

• 1437478557273.jpg
    1437478557273.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 76
I wouldn't worry about the disappearing BN. Mine goes AWOL for up to a week at a time. I very much doubt the snails are responsible.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom