is wc a vital aspect for growing oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hav a 75g with my 1 albino and 1 copper tiger oscar. They r about 4" in size. I feed them live earthworm, bloodworm, ghost shrimp, I bought a tetrabit. Bt they didn't like it much. Thought of buy a hikari cichlid gold or bio gold. Foods r really essential to growing bt my question is that, is wc a vital aspect too for growing my oscars? Suggessions r most welcome.

Assuming that wc means water change then yes. Oscars are dirty little buggers and will produce a lot of waste. The best idea is to get a test kit and track the nitrates, if they are getting close to 40ppm than change water. You may find that two oscars may be a bit much for your 75g as they grow. A 100g would be more suitable.

Thanx. Yup here wc reffers water change. I need a test kit which I'll buy shortly. Bt I would like to tel u that I'm using seachem prime as my water conditioner. And change almost 40% of water twice a month. Is that ok or I need a much frequent change though its also depend on test kit reading. Yup I know a 100g is good for them. Wil upgrade it shortly.my guys r growing grt.still if wc a vital one I can do it frequent for them

The readings from the test kit will help determine when to do wc. I've got 2 big oscars and I do weekly changes. Amazon has the cheapest API FRESHWATER KIT

Thanx. Yup here wc reffers water change. I need a test kit which I'll buy shortly. Bt I would like to tel u that I'm using seachem prime as my water conditioner. And change almost 40% of water twice a month. Is that ok or I need a much frequent change though its also depend on test kit reading. Yup I know a 100g is good for them. Wil upgrade it shortly.my guys r growing grt.still if wc a vital one I can do it frequent for them

The test kit will pretty much set your wc schedule. As they grow the frequency will increase as the waste produced increases. Right now they are pretty small so the wc are probably close to biweekly or monthly.

@boadams87, thanx for the kit info from amazon.wil check it out soon.so that I can make a schedule of my wc's.

Filtration is key as well. More is better. Canisters are good or a second HOB Filter. Once a month does not sound often enough to me. I'd rather do small weekly changes. Keeps PH stable and ammonia lower.

Yup that's true. right now I hav 2 internal power filter with 650 gph. Need some more though.I'll increase the rate of wc as they become larger. I think prime can able to handle the level of nitrates,ammonia.

There should not be ANY ammonia or nitrItes in your tank. If there is you've got a problem. IMO, even at this size, your fish require at least 40% PWC weekly. The key to healthy, large fish is water changes (especially when the fish is young). The more water you can flush through their tank the better IMO.

Thanx mumma, wil surely do this wc weekly now onwards. I never compromise where my fish need help. Bt stil sometimes I miss wc on time for job. I just love my oscar buddies and can do anything for their health & growth.

Agree with everyone else, at least weekly water changes. When I raised Oscars (was spawning them) even with their over filtered tanks they got every 3rd day partial changes but these were huge breeder fish.

Shay said:
Agree with everyone else, at least weekly water changes. When I raised Oscars (was spawning them) even with their over filtered tanks they got every 3rd day partial changes but these were huge breeder fish.

Lucky you to get them to spawn. I've got 2 and Idk what they are. They're over 5 years old.

@Shay, thanx. Summary is like a weekly wc is good for them. So how many times ur buddies paired up? how many fry was there? Really eager to hear.

Back
Top Bottom