Issues Getting Moss to Grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for some advice regarding my moss. I cannot seem to get it to grow :( I took this moss out of one of my other tanks, where I wish it would grow less, and put it into this tank where I wish it would grow more! I honestly cannot even remember what type of moss it is...I believe christmas moss. I am dosing ferts and injecting CO2. I have about 4 watts per gallon t5. My water is between 7-8Kh. None of my fish would be eating it. Any ideas?

Here are two pictures. One of the moss and one of the overall tank. And one of my siamese algae eater because he looks cute :D

Attachments

• DSC_2237.jpg
    DSC_2237.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_2268.jpg
    DSC_2268.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_2261.jpg
    DSC_2261.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 84
How long has it been there? Is it getting good light/flow? Looks like it's got some staghorn going on it.

By the way, your sword has an attitude problem and I like it.

For me it grows a lot faster with a little flow. Like the strands that are growing out still move a bit from current. But only lightly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426437511.847343.jpg

And I trim every two weeks which keeps it pretty bushy

I love my fish!!!

I had it directional to the filter outflow and it wasnt growing there either. The I moved it to a place with less flow and still nothing. This is like the third type of moss I have attempted to grow in this tank.

And yes, thay sword is about a year and half old. Its huge. Haha

What ferts are you using? I have a lot of mosses in my tanks and would like to encourage growth.

And that sword is awesome (y)

Another thing- liquid co2 like excel or "real" co2? Some plants are sensitive to the liquid like excel. Val's, anacharis, and mosses are the ones I've heard of being sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another thing- liquid co2 like excel or "real" co2? Some plants are sensitive to the liquid like excel. Val's, anacharis, and mosses are the ones I've heard of being sensitive
Did not know that, thanks for sharing!

Yeah I've had no issues with excel and those but I dosed a tad lighter than recommended because I had them. (Moss and anacharis) so I can't really prove or dis-prove it but it was just a thought I remembered from before I started dosing with it.

Some people swear it does and others say it doesn't. Almost makes me wonder if it is one of those things where it makes it melt at first then once the plant adjusts it takes off?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use half dose excel, flourish comp, and leaf zone.

Half dose on excel to keep my Val's doing well. They are growing like CRAZY. And my moss has sped up a ton since I started using excel.

I love my fish!!!

I dose micros, nitrate, phosphate, potassium 3 times a week like normal. I never dose anything other than those, no excel or stuff like that.

Mosses are fine with glut-products. Just don't dose it near their vicinity.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Back
Top Bottom