Issues with the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

NOTE: I did do a substrate change over 2-3 days ago (Monday) so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

First, my readings as done with the drop-testers:
PH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (possibly 5, but don't think so... this tank is over 6 months old... I would have thought it would be higher, but did a 50%-60% water change with substrate change)

KH: 4 drops... 71.6
GH: 12 drops... 214.8

CO2 with that is around 7.5 per a chart.

Ok, so I have CO2 coming in from a 10 gallon tank set at 2 drops/second (or so) going through a glass diffuser. I would have thought it would be higher except that I also run a bubbler because without it the fish all hang out at the top of the tank. The fish were doing that before, and now after the sub change.

I have a Rena XP2 for the tank right now. Changed out the main filters about 3 weeks ago. Flow seems OK now that I cleaned it, but really don't know how it should feel. I've never thought it was enough though.

So I'm at a loss... I wanted CO2 but need to bubbler so the fish can breath! I can always up the amount of CO2 being pushed in but I'm also worried about that Nitrate count, shouldn't it be higher??? The plants are all doing pretty well and are pearling so I don't think I need more CO2 but it looks too low.

Suggestions?

If you are running an air stone in your tank, it is going to negate any CO2 injection. Your CO2 levels are right at about what they would be in a tank with no CO2 injection, so basically your air stone is gassing off any co2 you are injecting into the tank.

You should not need to run an air stone in the tank during the day unless there is something else going wrong in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom