it has been three weeks and neon is still not heeling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict

my girlfriend discovered this, it seems like part of the gills or skin if you will is sticking out and under it is a open flesh. on the other side it is perfectly normal.
what to do?

when you click on image larger and in that window you may use the middle scroll mouse button to zoom.

You could add some pima fix to the water and pay extra attention to parameters and water changes. It may be an injury that needs a bit of time to heal. Is the neon eating and acting normally otherwise?

I'd keep a very close eye on it and make sure there is no infection. Add the pimafix and melafix if you want. It's mild enough to not cause harm to your other fish.

add to the 75g tank or isolate him for meds? are these meds good for my plants etc wont bother anyone else in my tank?
I have anti bacteria ap plus+
and api melafix

actually the others dont hang with him, he is by himself.
but he is swimming around. the gill looks like it is kind of sticking out like if something underneath.

Always best IMO to QT whenever possible, also cheaper for a 75 gal! LOL. I'd use the melafix personally. How long have you had him exactly? Did you get others at the same time?

I got four at one time and this was this past weekend or the end of last week. the injured one is one of the four, should I just take back? or qt him?

I'd QT him, it sounds like he has a minor injury that with close watching and good water with no stresses from other fish, should make a full recovery. Worth trying IMO, if he gets worse make sure you post so we can help more. Keep an eye out for infection or fungus.

I QT him but it seems like it is getting worse, not eating swimming funny and wound is getting bigger.

Can you see anything sticking out of the wounded gill area? Does it seem like an injury or an infection caused by parasites? I think stronger meds may be necessary but want to get as much info as possible. Can you get a new pic?

I will try to get new pictures up this will be hard since the QT is in the 75g tank stand with little light. the only thing sticking out is possibly his gill or around gill are if I may call it skin. he hasnt died and I havent seen him eat but he is still kicking though.

The antibacterial med you have the AP plus+, I would try treating it in 1/2 recommended dosage. I googled it as I am not familiar with the brand. Not sounding much like an injury now, so perhaps bacterial or parasitic. Good luck.

on friday I stopped all treatments, today I looked and he still has that open wound, can it be an open wound caused by another fish or a deco? if this is a wound or cut like humans gets does it heel or will it stay like that? is it ok to start second week of treatment and see what happens next weekend or to just place him in the 75g main tank again?. I really dont see him eating but he is still alive and moving around, just that sometimes he tends to lean towards the wound side but has been this way since I put him in the qt about seven to ten days ago.

If the wound is not healing at all, I would go ahead with a second week of treatment. I would not put him in the main tank yet. Yes decorations and other fish can cause wounds and yes they do heal,

Back
Top Bottom