It is official, my tank is boring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
My freshwater tank has hit the point where it is so stable and predictable, it has become boring. I have the tank down to an science now, the water is always perfect, the fish are always looking good. I have not purchased any new fish in the last six months or so, and in that time, only one fish has died. I do the same water change routine every week, same filter maintenence routine every two weeks, same fish doing their repetitive fishy things day in and day out. Heck, when I moved the tank two months ago, I did not even mix up the silk plants, I put everything back exactly where it was.

The only thing I really mix up with the tank is the food. I try to be totally random with the five types of food I have to ensure proper nutrition.

My wife wants new fish, but the tank has a full bioload IMO and one of the Plecos would need to go before adding any other new fish. So, at this point, it is finally time to start getting some real plants and spice this tank up. I have Java Moss in the tank now, it always grows like a week and I need to throw clumps away or give it to friends of my father. Hopefully the plants will be a nice challenge and give me good results :)

I envy you! :mrgreen:
My tanks still throw me a curveball from time to time. Right now, it's aggression. :agrue:

From what I've heard, a heavily planted tank should provide you with a new challenge.
But what it really sounds like is that you need another tank. :D

I know exactly what you mean! I get bored with my tanks, too, and what I do in that case (aside from getting more tanks, which is never a bad idea :wink: ) is to change the aquascape completely and redo the decor/plantings. This will usually result in some slightly different behavior from my fish, since the territories are different, and provides some interest, without adding more fish or otherwise creating any potential for problems. Best thing is, it's FREE!

i know EXACTLY what your problem is...you dont have any cichlids! get some some cichlids and you wont get bored of their awesome personalties and colors.

get some overly large predator or some piranhas and throw them in your tank. that should mix things up a bit :) your lucky you have such a stable aquarium

Hey Grimlock....

See my PM....would not mind taking a pleco and some Java moss (don't have any yet) off your hands and giving him a good home (90 Gallon Planted).

WC

plants will def bring a bit of spice back to your tank, i think they add a great dimention... it is quite a challenge, getting the right plants for your light, matching all the nutrient levels, then placing them so they look lush / ballenced etc its great fun lol

nowhere near as cheap as re-arranging your tank tho!

Back
Top Bottom