Itchy Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the congrats... I'm excited!

Also thanks for the advice. This tank is actually my soon-to-be-wife's, so I'm trying to make it as lovely as possible.

When I came home and checked, no one seemed to look vastly different from when I saw them last, so maybe there was a bit of an exaggeration on her part. It seems that flashing has stopped, so that's a very good sign. I wish I had more time to observe, but last minute wedding planning has been taking up all my time.

Absolutangel, I'm still not convinced it was velvet, but that seems to be the best solution out there. I wonder if the guy who had a powdery look just took an entire envelope of medicine to the face and had a serious adverse reaction.

I guess I just don't know. I hope my treatment worked for the fish. I'm really nervous about coming home to an empty tank (well, at least the nerite snail is thriving in there... happiest critter I've ever seen!)

Thanks for all the help, and for sticking with this!

I am not 100% on velvet either, but it is the best I got in this case. It fits, and I can't find anything that fits better. Velvet gets into the gills, and the fish can die before the powder look shows. You are correct though that it could have been a fluke. I hope whatever you have has been beat finally.

If there are no more symptoms, I would just see how it goes, and wait a bit before trying to add more fish. Clearly, your fish have something! I would also look into maybe a different store if possible for fish purchases in the future.

If there are more symptoms, you can either do another round of your tetracycline, or else switch to a different med. A copper based med would be bad for your snail though, so you would need to remove him during treatment.

It could be that your most recent deaths were a lingering effect from the illness and not actually a new development. So, I hope they are the last!

Good luck! Keep us posted when you get back.

Could have been flukes, really no way to tell you unless there are other symptoms. Search fish stores for paraguard by seachrem.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would recommend lowering the water level to allow more oxygen and maybe get a bubble stone or something to increase the oxygen. Sounds like the fish are gasping for air which is when they are at the top of the tank or mouths open, gills moving fast. As for the other issues, good luck :) treating with bacterial and fungal is what I would recommend. API has some good ones

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom