It's been a while...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't been on here as much lately so I thought I would update... I got my malawi african cichlid tank up and running with 8 beautiful cichlids and a small pleco... He may have to move... they have nipped his fins pretty bad but overall he's doing ok. My tank is AWESOME! I'm very pleased with it.

I've also started over with my ten gallon... tore it down washed everything in HOT water ( due to every illness you can think of ) and set it back up and started "fishless" in it and another 10g that I got really cheap :D I was at petsmart and found a great deal on another 10g and finally got a hospital tank going :D

I have two beautiful baby goldies in my hospital tank and realized i needed a backup plan fast! Thank goodness for CL... I got a GREAT deal on a 55g!!!
It came with...ready for this???
Tank... hood... light strip... UGF...HOB...great Oak Stand... Gravel... 4 or 5 silk Plants ...UGF Pump... Thermometer... heater... cichlid food... aquarium salt. 3 Lowes Buckets... cleaning hose... ROCK decor ( 49 at petsmart ) Roman decor ( large and medium piece ) I got all of this for 100.00 dollars :) YAY!!!!! i'm in the process of cycling it. Hopefully it'll be ready for the goldies when theyre QT process is over.:dance:

I'll post pics

New tank is a work in progress...

Attachments

• image-1736931263.jpg
    image-1736931263.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 138
  • image-4135534531.jpg
    image-4135534531.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3034377332.jpg
    image-3034377332.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2962759151.jpg
    image-2962759151.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image-2102701458.jpg
    image-2102701458.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 146
Jason7894561230 said:
Love the tanks and welcome back!

Thanks Jason :) I've been a little busy with the tanks ;) my newest from
Craigslist was on the third floor of and apartment... That was a workout!! Lol I'm getting close to being finished and that makes me sad :( haha

Welcome back! I did notice u went missing for awhile :p

Anywho! I love Ur Malawi tank looks awesome! What are u gonna do about Ur pleco?

As for Ur 55g! I hate u!!! I hate all Americans :p this hobby seems to be so much cheaper there than Australia! A 55g with hood, filter and stand will cost over 700+ easy :( btw IMO UGF is abit outdated! Should stop using it.. And buy a canister filter :) other than that I can't wait till ur goldfish are swimming in their new home :D btw what kinda goldfish??

Hubert90 said:
Welcome back! I did notice u went missing for awhile :p

Anywho! I love Ur Malawi tank looks awesome! What are u gonna do about Ur pleco?

As for Ur 55g! I hate u!!! I hate all Americans :p this hobby seems to be so much cheaper there than Australia! A 55g with hood, filter and stand will cost over 700+ easy :( btw IMO UGF is abit outdated! Should stop using it.. And buy a canister filter :) other than that I can't wait till ur goldfish are swimming in their new home :D btw what kinda goldfish??

Thanks I was happy with the cichlid set up :) hahaha I'm sorry :( don't hate me ...

I have been reading that the UF are outdated but I thought about running it along with possibly two HOBs idk... I'm trying not to spend anymore money... I'd really like driftwood and sand in it and I know I'd have to Toss the UF with the sand. I would love a canister filter but I'm
So broke lol...

Um one is a white fancy tail with orange side fins and eyes... Way cool and the other one I'm not so sure ... his body don't look fancy but his tale Does...He's the whole reason I am doing a GF tank... Otherwise I would have large schools of neon tetras and some Bolivian rams or Angels ...or
Something like that. It's hard cause I already have a species tank ... Lol I'm Like...what can I put with goldfish. ?? Grrr

As for pleco I'm not sure? I would put him in the hospital tank but it's
Being occupied by the goldies and they are from PetSmart so I won't chance putting him in there. THe cichlids even eat his algea wafers ... I thought about
Moving him to the other 55 with the goldfish but I heard that could be really bad. He's tiny tiny and my goldfish are tiny. I should have gotten a bigger one for the cichlid tank but my trusted LFS said he'd be ok. He stays hidden well so I haven't worried to much but he came out the other day and his fins are pretty beat up. He looks fine though but I'm also worried about him eating :(

Flossie said:
Thanks I was happy with the cichlid set up :) hahaha I'm sorry :( don't hate me ...

I have been reading that the UF are outdated but I thought about running it along with possibly two HOBs idk... I'm trying not to spend anymore money... I'd really like driftwood and sand in it and I know I'd have to Toss the UF with the sand. I would love a canister filter but I'm
So broke lol...

Um one is a white fancy tail with orange side fins and eyes... Way cool and the other one I'm not so sure ... his body don't look fancy but his tale Does...He's the whole reason I am doing a GF tank... Otherwise I would have large schools of neon tetras and some Bolivian rams or Angels ...or
Something like that. It's hard cause I already have a species tank ... Lol I'm Like...what can I put with goldfish. ?? Grrr

As for pleco I'm not sure? I would put him in the hospital tank but it's
Being occupied by the goldies and they are from PetSmart so I won't chance putting him in there. THe cichlids even eat his algea wafers ... I thought about
Moving him to the other 55 with the goldfish but I heard that could be really bad. He's tiny tiny and my goldfish are tiny. I should have gotten a bigger one for the cichlid tank but my trusted LFS said he'd be ok. He stays hidden well so I haven't worried to much but he came out the other day and his fins are pretty beat up. He looks fine though but I'm also worried about him eating :(

Hmm 2 hob should be fine. What kinda hob? U can have white cloud mountain minnows with goldfish but once Ur goldfish gets bigger, Ur white cloud mountain minnows may find itself in their mouth! Haha also bristlenose pleco is one pleco that is compatible with goldfish, they don't get big and don't think there are known reports of them sucking on goldfish slime coat. This is provide that Ur temp is set around 21 degree Celsius and u feed them sufficiently. I myself have goldies and had trouble looking for compatibility.

Hmm ive read that common pleco require a min of 125g. are u able to rehome him? Before u get too attached? Haha if he's getting nipped on, I believe it's better for both u and Ur pleco.

So everyones main concern about GF comparability is temp right? I have found some other fish that like cold water as well like zebra danios denision barbs.. Plecos...yeah and white cloud minnows Etc... But I guess it's the fact that they are all to small to big or to aggressive ? It just
Seems like the temp thing is a bad argument bc ppl say fancies like warmer temps like 75 so then u ask can't I put other fish and everyone is like NOOOOOO haha??? If u are talking about a tropical community temp and ph everyone will say they can adjust... Lol it's crazy... I guess I don't understand why ppl bend the rules everywhere but with goldies ... They are
Beautiful all on there own but with Africans and goldies and their lifespan... Lol imma be looking at them a looooooong time.. Hopefully anyways

As for pleco I'm not sure yet... I know I can take him back to the place I got him when he gets bigger... I may go ahead and take him now ... I think he's doing ok bc he stay hidden alot . I think it was initiation lol but idk... I thought about puttin him in a ten gallon until he gets bigger but that may be worse aggression wise... I'm still kinda a newbie but I'm learning what works for one person dont work for everyone...

Flossie said:
So everyones main concern about GF comparability is temp right? I have found some other fish that like cold water as well like zebra danios denision barbs.. Plecos...yeah and white cloud minnows Etc... But I guess it's the fact that they are all to small to big or to aggressive ? It just
Seems like the temp thing is a bad argument bc ppl say fancies like warmer temps like 75 so then u ask can't I put other fish and everyone is like NOOOOOO haha??? If u are talking about a tropical community temp and ph everyone will say they can adjust... Lol it's crazy... I guess I don't understand why ppl bend the rules everywhere but with goldies ... They are
Beautiful all on there own but with Africans and goldies and their lifespan... Lol imma be looking at them a looooooong time.. Hopefully anyways

As for pleco I'm not sure yet... I know I can take him back to the place I got him when he gets bigger... I may go ahead and take him now ... I think he's doing ok bc he stay hidden alot . I think it was initiation lol but idk... I thought about puttin him in a ten gallon until he gets bigger but that may be worse aggression wise... I'm still kinda a newbie but I'm learning what works for one person dont work for everyone...

Yes main concern with goldfish compatibility are the temp as well as aggression and size like u said. Also competition for food will be a problem. Most tropical fish are fast swimmer, faster than fancies anyways.

Most fancies do best btwn 64F and 75F. Goldfish does better in more basic water. While most tropical fish prefers acidic water. However u should never chase after a perfect ph! A constant ph is far better than a fluctuating ph!

For me I like to provide the ideal ph and temp for my fish that's why Im having a hard time searching for tank mates! Haha I'm able to maintain a constant ph 7.6 for my goldfish tank (same as tap water) while my tropical tank im able to maintain a ph of 6.6 because I use aquasoil (reduces ph).

My recommendation is to do research on the fish and also ask us question on AA :) I'll help u the best I can based on my opinion and experience!

I also forgot to add that many people have successfully kept goldfish with tropical! Mr limpet keeps blackmoor together with dianos I'm pretty sure! Lets hope he read this thread!

Hubert90 said:
Yes main concern with goldfish compatibility are the temp as well as aggression and size like u said. Also competition for food will be a problem. Most tropical fish are fast swimmer, faster than fancies anyways.

Most fancies do best btwn 64F and 75F. Goldfish does better in more basic water. While most tropical fish prefers acidic water. However u should never chase after a perfect ph! A constant ph is far better than a fluctuating ph!

For me I like to provide the ideal ph and temp for my fish that's why Im having a hard time searching for tank mates! Haha I'm able to maintain a constant ph 7.6 for my goldfish tank (same as tap water) while my tropical tank im able to maintain a ph of 6.6 because I use aquasoil (reduces ph).

My recommendation is to do research on the fish and also ask us question on AA :) I'll help u the best I can based on my opinion and experience!

Man i constantly research but there are so many variables... And ph I don't even try and mess with it. It's like 8.2 outta the tap and I don't want to make it fluctuate by
Trying to change it... Bc im not so great at fish keeping just yet... I tend to try way to hard! My African cichlids love the ph ;) I appreciate all the help I can get :)

Flossie said:
Man i constantly research but there are so many variables... And ph I don't even try and mess with it. It's like 8.2 outta the tap and I don't want to make it fluctuate by
Trying to change it... Bc im not so great at fish keeping just yet... I tend to try way to hard! My African cichlids love the ph ;) I appreciate all the help I can get :)

That's good to hear! If u come up with anything! Let me know.. U never know it may work even for me :p haha dont worry its better trying hard than not trying! And U are better than u think u are! I realized that u are quite hard on urself! Haha don't be :)

Hubert90 said:
That's good to hear! If u come up with anything! Let me know.. U never know it may work even for me :p haha dont worry its better trying hard than not trying! And U are better than u think u are! I realized that u are quite hard on urself! Haha don't be :)

Thanks Hubert I do hear that quite often that I'm hard on myself buy hey I just wanna be great at it :) I will let u know if I figure something out... My grandma has an Oranda in a tropical community and honestly he's probably the boss of the tank. She has angels balas... Rainbow... Mollies... She got it off of crigslist and that was the stock they even had tiger barbs! I convinced her to get rid of the Tiger barbs thank goodness

Back
Top Bottom