It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the garden basics around here is not the right stuff, but someone did post on here that they got garden basic and it was the right stuff for them. I dont remeber where he lived but i think it was new york so you might have a chance that it is the right stuff. Try the vinegar test and let us know.

fantasy sand

I found some fantasy sand today at home depot.
its made by coastal supply co. Anyone know anything about it?
If not I guess i'll buy some and to the vinegar test.

Well I just spent an hour on the phone calling Home Depots and they say they cannot get sand from east coast stores. I'm contemplating just using the stuff they have here in Oceanside, CA. It's Paragon Play Sand in 50lb bags. Any one know any tricks to get HD to transfer product? I've done alot of reading online and it seems that the "don't use silica sand" hype is just that Hype. Does most everyone agree that non argonite sand will suffice to make a Deep Live Sand Bed? (It just won't buffer)

No personal experience but read several places it packs and does not make good DSB. Also if you have borrows or bottom swimmers it will scratch their bellies and cause infections. Standard silica sand is just finely crushed rock.

Play Sand

I just got four 50 lbs bags of Quickrete playsand at Lowes in Glen Burnie, Md for $1.98 a bag. It's green and red with a boy playing on it. Now before I put it in my brand new tank is that the right stuff? :(

Re: Play Sand

pmedley2070 said:
I just got four 50 lbs bags of Quickrete playsand at Lowes in Glen Burnie, Md for $1.98 a bag. It's green and red with a boy playing on it. Now before I put it in my brand new tank is that the right stuff? :(

From reading the second page in this thread, no it is not. I looked at the MSDS sheet from Quickcrete and it says they are Silicate based.

You have to be careful too because some bags have the Silicate warnings on them, and some don't, but are still silicate based.

Nate

Ok, here's one for those of you in Delaware or Eastern Maryland.

The Home Depot on Route 40 (Pulaski Highway) in the Glasgow section of Newark, DE has the Oldcastle sand for $4.99 a bag. A little more than I've seen in this thread, but still much better than LS or getting argonite sand from an online source.

Nate

can any one tell me where i can get some Southdown Play sand in the washington idaho area or what other brands i should look for

Piedmont Triad/ Greensboro NC

I picked up 3 bags of Old Castle play sand yesterday at the HD at Brassfield in Greensboro. They had about a dozen bags left. $3.99 for 40lb bags.

went over to HD and Lowes but nothing here in Houston, TX
Only found the Pavestone Pool Filter sand but what i read this is not as good as the old castle.

anyone have any luck on any good sand locally in the houston area? or should i just drive down to g-town and paddle some into a bucket? :twisted:

what about the purple colored sand from a company Texans Agri Products ? Sand is call Kaleidoscope Colored Play Sand. I wonder how cool it would look with purple sand in my SW tank 0X Found some at a Walmart. Anybody have any luck in the Houston area?

hey does anyone know if the stuff that was avaible in Illinois do they still have it ?? i am trying to find some. and if someone does find some for a good price i can pay for it and have it snail mailed
let me know
i would really want to get some in the by sunday but probably wont happen ??

It's not Southdown or Yardright but it's still aragonite sand. It's called Kolorscape White Play Sand. Made by Oldcastle. The only thing that might be different from the other bags is it might contains small amounts of silica. I'm not sure I have never seen the other bags before so I don't know if they contain any silica either. I bought 10 bags at $4 a pop. Home Depot Goldstar Blvd. in Worcester, MA. Almost 2 pallets left.

Back
Top Bottom