It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stand and doors are done. Canopy is all cut and ready for sand/stain.

Started on the stand tonight. Another first for me, so we'll see how it turns out.

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

I would never trust myself to build something so important... something that holds up so much water..... I would be paranoid it would collapse.

Well done. I can't wait to see it looking all painted!

I like those doors. Are you going to put a sump under there?

Thanks everyone.

I'm just now really looking at the pics. Funny, they make it appear that the stain is extremely uneven, although it doesn't look like that in person - perhaps the flash was just picking up wet spots or something, I dunno.

Underneath will go a 29g sump and probably a 10g fuge. I'll put a sheet of ply across the bottom inside as a floor, and will need to build a mini-stand for the 10g to sit on to elevate it above the 29. plan is to use 1 of the 2 outlets in the overflow Ziggy gave me to go to the fuge, gate it to control the flow, drill the 10g for a bulkhead and just let gravity return out of the 10g into the skimmer section of the 29g sump.

I have some concerns with that method that I'm working through (like what if the bulkhead gets clogged) but I'll figure something out.

So far I have not had the bulkhead clog. I have a screen to keep things from going down the drain. I'm sure that you will be looking at things pretty much everyday like I do so you would see if there is a problem.

So..I was wondering if you had anything new to report? How is the stand coming along?

I have some rock you can have that will help seed your tank.

It's been another rough week. Stand is still basically where it was in the past pictures, except that the first coat of stain has dried and I sanded it to get ready for coat number 2.

I picked up 2 Coralvue 4" smart fans on Ebay for around $20. I think they retail for $45 each, so that's pretty nice. They're brand new, still in the box. Comes already wired with a thermistor on an 18" wire, that speeds up the fan as the temperature increases. Pretty good airflow, and super quiet, especially for 4" fans.

Anyone know if I can wire these together into 1 power supply? Each came with it's own, and the PS is rated for 500mA, but there's no power draw listed on the fans themselves.

I looked at some fans and some around that size are from .3-.6a, so with 2 you would be over .5a that the power supply says.

Those have to be 12v fans, sounds like a good price

65-70 hour work weeks have left me a little unmotivated lately. Yesterday was my first day off in the past few weeks, so I actually was able to get some stuff done.

Second coat of stain on the stand and doors went on last night. I looked this morning and haven't decided yet if it needs a third or not, we'll see. I assembled the canopy and coated the inside of it with Kilz sealer. Today (maybe) I'll get the cutouts done for the fans. I think I'm just going to get a 4" hole saw and do it that way, seems that would be the simplest and there's room to accomodate the fan inside the canopy rather than flush mounted. They'll be installed on the back of the canopy, so even though it won't look great it won't be seen.

I'm working with AA's newest sponsor, Underwater Outlet, to order 100 pounds of pohnpei live rock. I think he's invoicing it for me now, so that should be ordered by the end of the day.

here's a pic of what I'm ordering:
img_904734_0_1825a369668239174f88040de209cc8d.jpg
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...904734_0_1825a369668239174f88040de209cc8d.jpg

Looks like great stuff. I've been going back and forth on this LR purchase for too long, decided to just take the plunge. I have SW mixed and container ready for curing it once it arrives.

Larry over at Underwater Outlet has been great to work with - he's quickly responded to my tons of PMs and got me to the point I'm ready to order. If the transaction goes as well as their customer service has been, I'll be thoroughly impressed. And with the 15% discount they're giving to AA members right now, the prices are very good as well.

Last edited:
Proof! 100 pounds of Pohnpei Live Rock is enroute.

Ship date
Sep 22, 2008
Estimated delivery
Sep 24, 2008
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reference
Underwater Outlet
Destination
STERLING, VA
Service type
Home Delivery

Nah...he doesn't have to hurry. He still has to cure the LR when he gets it. This however should help bolster his efforts though.

Yeah, I think the curing process may take a few weeks, right?

I do have a question, is there anyway to cycle it while it cures if I'm not curing it in the tank? It'll cure in a 35g trash can, and I'm expecting pretty high amounts of die off. But, I assume I'll still have to cycle the whole tank when I put it in, right? Is there anything I can do now while it's curing to expedite the cycling process?

I've read that some people like to run actinics on the rock while it's curing to boost coralline growth, is there any truth in that?

When you put the fully cured LR into the tank it will cycle pretty quickly. Yeah you will see a fair amount of die off, though there will still be a lot of life left too. I trust you have the 35g can filled with water and have it circulating and heated. Right?

Are you going to hook your skimmer up and have it run on the curing rock?

Most of the LFS's that I have been to run 50/50s on there curing tanks. I guess it could help promote coraline growth. If you want to do it it's not going to hurt anything.

If you have sand and water in the tank you can go with the raw shrimp. That will at least get some of the cycle started and you will have some bacteria forming, this might help to cure your rock quicker (but you are getting your rock tomorrow, so that is not really going to help).
I would cure the rock as the tank cycles (in the tank). If you do it in a bucket, there is no telling what kind of life (critters) will be left in the bucket.
Allen talkks about fully cured LR, do you have some or is that what is getting shipped?

Last edited:
The rock I'm getting tomorrow isn't going to be fully cured. The plan is to allow it to cure until it's either A) done or B) I'm ready for it to go in the tank. Since the tank isn't ready yet, that's not an option, but depending on how long it takes to cure I may move it into the tank before it's done to finish there. Just have to see how much progress I make over the upcoming week(s) on the tank.

I was thinking about running some lighting on it, like I asked, if it would be beneficial. Not sure, though, that it would help much since the 35G can isn't going to allow any light to get through below the top few pieces. Was just more curious on that one.

Ziggy - I have 2 35g cans. 1 is filled with SW at 1.024sg and has been heated/maintained at 80 degrees and I have 2 powerheads in it to keep it all moving, 1 allowing for good surface turbulance. The second can is empty, so that the rock can go in and then be filled with water from the first can.

If I can find a way to support the skimmer in the can I intend on running it during curing, yes. I'm thinking I can rig up some eggcrate easy enough to accomodate this.

Ok, I see what you are saying.
I think once the ammonia hits 0 you should be able to add it to the tank (if it is ready) since the nitrItes will soon be converted to nitrAtes (you would no longer need the ammonia source for the rest of the cycle).
Also, the beneficial bacteria will be in/on the rock (or at least beginning to grow) so you will have partially cured rock and your tank's cycle should start with where your leave off with the curing.
Does that make sense?

Yeah, I understand the process, was just looking to see if there's anything else I should/could do during curing phase to expedite it. But I agree, once it fully cures, the actual cycle should go quickly.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the skimmer to work in the "can". I've seen several pics of skimmers sitting right on top of the rock in a garbage can and running like a top.

Are you getting excited yet???? Can you smell the acros in your future?

Back
Top Bottom