It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks real good....Hmmmm, that "rope" looking trim seems like I have seen it somewhere before...Just kidding, it looks really good!

yeah yeah, I think allen used actual rope IIRC. This is some generic trim from lowes. lol

Canopy is ready for stain, I just don't have it in me tonight to lay down the first coat. Perhaps tomorrow after work.

The top of the canopy stands to just above my eyebrows, and I'm 6' tall. I really like the height of it now that it's upright.

Looks good will have to have all you that have built one help me when I get the point of building one for my "big tank" build. That build will be a few years off. :)

I've been thinking about that. Hoping to finish the canopy this weekend. Just needs a light sanding and a final coat of stain and it'll be ready for equipment to be installed.

I picked up a few cherry picked pieces of rock as well from a local who was getting rid of it, it's in the bin curing with the rest of it.

Time to get over my fear and drill the tank. It's still up on the stand, like in the picture, and I have the 2 powerheads in it and I keep constantly staring at it trying to figure out where to drill it for the CL. I have several different ideas, I guess I just need to pick one and do it and get it over with.

I still need to build a small stand to go inside the stand to elevate the 10g fuge up above the sump so gravity can run the overflow. Figuring that's 20 min worth of work (it'll be inside, so it doesn't have to be pretty), and I intend on finishing that this weekend also.

Then, time to start the plumbing stuff. Know what I want to do with it, just have to figure out how to make it all come together.

Well, I've been lazy - again.

The canopy has been sanded and wiped down and is ready for it's final coat of stain, then I'll start installing equipment. Still haven't gotten the guts to try drilling the tank, but that's gotta happen soon so I can get going on the plumbing.

This weekend I hope to finish the canopy, including equipment installation. I still have not wired up and even checked the ballasts that I bought used to make sure they work.

Is this just the absolute fastest build you've ever seen or what?

Stand and Canopy:
IMG_2436.JPG

And here's how it all opens up:
IMG_2437.JPG

Thanks for the compliments.

So, last night after the pics I decided to start installing the reflectors/lighting in the canopy. I knew that I was going to struggle with room to do it how I wanted to, but I gave it a shot anyway. I had bought 2 of the 12" spider reflectors from hellolights, and was hopeful I'd be able to find a way to make those and the 2 TEK T5s all fit above the tank, but the fact is the tank is only 12 or 13" wide and it just wasn't going to happen. But, like I said I tried anyway, unsuccessfully.

So, tonight I'll pull out the spider reflectors and install the 2 little reflectors that I got with the ballasts and get the T5s mounted after I figure out a bracket method (prob something similiar to Ziggy's, just mount a piece of wood to allow the end caps to mount to). I know I'll lose a lot of efficiency from the MHs in doing this, but I think for this tank it will be okay. I don't think I'll ever buy a tank that is less than 18" deep again - ever - lol.

Then, yes, I have to drill. The biggest thing I'm struggling with right now is where to drill the 2 returns for the CL. With having the overflow box going on the one side, it's kinda right in the way of where I would ideally put them. I want to run an SCWD and mix up the flow, so I want to be able to direct it to come down over the "reef" once the rockwork is all in. But that overflow box is basically right where I'd want to put it, and with the center brace on the tank it isn't leaving me a ton of options. Just have to figure it out and get to drilling I guess.

Once that's done, I'll get it plumbed up loosely and let it run for a week with everything running and the tank full of water. I want to do this in the garage for literally at least a week before I start moving everything inside and make sure everything is good to go. I think Ziggy would understand why I'm doing this.

Back
Top Bottom