It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the substrate choice and the decor themed tank and I'm sooooo not a fan a plastic fake decor and tanks with bridges etc BUT, I'd come over and have a beer while enjoying your tank...

And don't worry we'll figure the light thing out.

What about getting a bag of white sand and making a rock-lined "path" out of it? That could be like a garden path and around it a zen style garden in miniature? Perhaps starting the path in the back left corner and going diagonally to the front right corner. Do some tall, slim plants in the back combined with a statue or two. Then make the plants gradually decrease in size along the path. You could figure out a way to make a little pond and place the bridge over it.

Wow -- thank you very much for your input and suggestions, Emerald!

Indeed, that sounds very intriguing; let me run this past the Missus, who simply has a more visual eye than me for these sorts of things (even though I AM a writer :hide:)...but the idea sounds very cool, especially in creating a "pond" over the bridge. I was actually contemplating this possibility by thinking of adding like, as you suggested, white or possibly blue stonework to mimic a body of water; instead, we ended up letting the cut-up pieces of that Marineland plant mat serve as a "winding garden." But that doesn't have to stay, at all...

Let me ask you this: Do you agree with Convict in that I should remove the tree stump for this re-scape/re-theme? Also, do you think the color of the substrate we have now will work? I don't want to drain the tank to re-do the substrate; it's just not an option -- but do you think the natural-colored polished pebbles can work with this theme? Petsmart shows it on their Zen tank, but I'm just asking; I know ideally it would look REALLY cool if we had some black and red gravel...

Also -- is that little Zen gazebo piece okay on the right side of the tank with lots of lush plants around it if the fish like it? They seem to play in and out of it all day...and as far as the bridge goes, even though this isn't an "Asian/Chinese" bridge per se, can it still work if I put the Bonsai-style plants around it?

Thanks for all your input, again...and keep the suggestions coming! (y) :) :thanks:

Wow -- thank you very much for your input and suggestions, Emerald!

Indeed, that sounds very intriguing; let me run this past the Missus, who simply has a more visual eye than me for these sorts of things (even though I AM a writer :hide:)...but the idea sounds very cool, especially in creating a "pond" over the bridge. I was actually contemplating this possibility by thinking of adding like, as you suggested, white or possibly blue stonework to mimic a body of water; instead, we ended up letting the cut-up pieces of that Marineland plant mat serve as a "winding garden." But that doesn't have to stay, at all...

Let me ask you this: Do you agree with Convict in that I should remove the tree stump for this re-scape/re-theme? Also, do you think the color of the substrate we have now will work? I don't want to drain the tank to re-do the substrate; it's just not an option -- but do you think the natural-colored polished pebbles can work with this theme? Petsmart shows it on their Zen tank, but I'm just asking; I know ideally it would look REALLY cool if we had some black and red gravel...
Definitely ditch the stump. Very un-Zen, lol. The substrate will be fine, a white sand over it in certain spots would work just fine instead of completely redoing it.

Also -- is that little Zen gazebo piece okay on the right side of the tank with lots of lush plants around it if the fish like it? They seem to play in and out of it all day...and as far as the bridge goes, even though this isn't an "Asian/Chinese" bridge per se, can it still work if I put the Bonsai-style plants around it?
I believe it will work fine, just make it look natural.

Thanks for all your input, again...and keep the suggestions coming! (y) :) :thanks:

I put my answers above.

I like the substrate choice

So, this theme could work with the natural pebble look you think? Doesn't HAVE to be changed to black sand, red/black gravel, etc?

and the decor themed tank and I'm sooooo not a fan a plastic fake decor and tanks with bridges etc BUT, I'd come over and have a beer while enjoying your tank...

LOL, if you lived close, you'd be invited any time! (y)

But are you saying I SHOULDN'T do any of this because of your dislike of the fake ornaments and such? :hide: :ermm:

And don't worry we'll figure the light thing out.

Thanks...:thanks: :oops:

No No No! lol you do your tank for you not anyone else. Like me. Yeah it's nice to hear the good and I like that some people enjoy looking at my tank and for those that don't like it I say oh well. Don't look at it. I'm just telling you what I like lol.

I think you have a great idea and I think the substrate will work just fine. I really can't wait to see this tank when it's done.

I do have a question, do you have a background? If not black will really work here with the Zen theme.

Thank you, Emerald, once more...(y) :)

Definitely ditch the stump. Very un-Zen, lol.

LOL, okay; seems we're all on the same page with this...I will hold onto it, though, in case in the next setup we decide to go with the natural theme...

Thanks! You and Convict are helping me so much with these decisions...:)

The substrate will be fine, a white sand over it in certain spots would work just fine instead of completely redoing it.

Do you think the white sand moreso than letting the cut-up pieces of green plant mat form the winding garden? Or are you referring to creating a kind of "pond/river" for the bridge to go over?

I believe it will work fine, just make it look natural.

Are you referring to the BRIDGE working fine, or both the bridge and gazebo? And do you mean, by natural, just surrounding these pieces with the right kinds of flora?

No No No! lol you do your tank for you not anyone else. Like me. Yeah it's nice to hear the good and I like that some people enjoy looking at my tank and for those that don't like it I say oh well. Don't look at it. I'm just telling you what I like lol.

Whoever told you they didn't like your tank?

I think you have a great idea and I think the substrate will work just fine. I really can't wait to see this tank when it's done.

I am going to definitely snap pics when it's in progress and then done; my wife lost the memory card to her digital camera so we're scrambling to find a way to take pics of the tank and upload it to the site...

I do have a question, do you have a background? If not black will really work here with the Zen theme.

No, no background yet -- all you see is the massive bubble wall in back, and the ugly cords and wires hanging down from the filters and air lines...:(

I was definitely thinking black -- but I also like the idea of getting one of those 3D backgrounds that REALLY give the tank an illusion of depth...or, one of the "plant/rock aquascape" scenes, so the back looks more lush and filled in, but I don't know if that's better suited to a natural aquascape...:hide:

ANY suggestions from you -- and Emerald -- on the background thing would be MASSIVELY appreciated...do you think a background will definitely fix that "cold, empty" look we have now, especially with some better LED lighting? Outside of the black background, what would you suggest?

I've had some negative responses regarding my tank saying that it should be rock scaped because cichlids are rock dwellers which is true and leads me to my point. You make and scape your tank for YOUR enjoyment and your wife's, kids you get the idea. Not for others.

So his re scape your doing I'm all for it because its what you want and like and you seem very excited about it and that makes me more inclined to help!

If you wanna do a 3d background that would be sick, they sell them already made. I do believe it takes a little space away from the tank and you'll have to fit in your filter intakes etc.

However a quick spray of black paint and your done. It will really make the tank pop, give it depth and the illusion of a bigger tank.

Please don't take my upfront style about scaping personal. I'm a natural scape kinda guy but I support you 110% and will help you anyway I can. I enjoy it!!

Dino

I've had some negative responses regarding my tank saying that it should be rock scaped because cichlids are rock dwellers which is true and leads me to my point. You make and scape your tank for YOUR enjoyment and your wife's, kids you get the idea. Not for others.

From members on HERE or another site...or from people that visited your home and saw the tank?

I completely understand what you're saying about scaping the tank for one's own personal enjoyment, but there is something to be said about considering the particular species' natural habitat and such, especially if it directly or even adversely affects their health; in your case, the Chichlids could probably do with more rock caves and formations and such based on their native biotope, but with the goldfish, our theme idea is basically spun around the fact that they've been bred in the Orient and trace their roots to that region of the world...

But I completely understand what you're trying to say.

So his re scape your doing I'm all for it because its what you want and like and you seem very excited about it and that makes me more inclined to help!

Thank you; your assistance is beyond appreciated. (y)

If you wanna do a 3d background that would be sick, they sell them already made. I do believe it takes a little space away from the tank and you'll have to fit in your filter intakes etc.

You know something, D? I didn't even think of that -- the point about the filters not fitting and such; because the backgrounds pop off the back, the filters would have to be adjusted to compensate...very good point and something I didn't take into consideration...

But these 3D backgrounds go INSIDE the tank or OUTSIDE? :huh:

However a quick spray of black paint and your done. It will really make the tank pop, give it depth and the illusion of a bigger tank.

Well, I wouldn't do the spray paint thing; I'd rather find a solid black paper-based background of some kind...but the tank would really pop with black? What about one of those "underwater scenes" or one with just a lot of plants and rocks? Of course, it wouldn't be one depicting corals and saltwater habitats...:eek:

Please don't take my upfront style about scaping personal. I'm a natural scape kinda guy but I support you 110% and will help you anyway I can. I enjoy it!!

Dino

Thanks a lot, my friend; I truly appreciate it and totally understand your natural scape preferences! (y)(y)

Hey Dino (and Everyone Else Who Has Been Helping Me in This Thread):

Could it possibly be that I stumbled upon the answer to my hood problem?

Check this out:

Marineland LED Light Hood for Aquariums Aquarium Hoods

Now, I would have to replace the hoods I have now, true, but these hoods COME with the Marineland daytime/nighttime LEDs which I was interested in, and since my tank IS a Marineland 60, the dual hoods they make with the LED lighting system SHOULD fit on the lips of the tank's top edge, no?

The only thing I can't stand is that I WOULD be replacing the hoods that CAME with this package...:banghead:

But -- maybe Marineland will let me do some kind of exchange? :ermm: :huh:

Thank you, Emerald, once more...(y) :)

LOL, okay; seems we're all on the same page with this...I will hold onto it, though, in case in the next setup we decide to go with the natural theme...

Thanks! You and Convict are helping me so much with these decisions...:)

Do you think the white sand moreso than letting the cut-up pieces of green plant mat form the winding garden? Or are you referring to creating a kind of "pond/river" for the bridge to go over?

Are you referring to the BRIDGE working fine, or both the bridge and gazebo? And do you mean, by natural, just surrounding these pieces with the right kinds of flora?

The white sand could be any of the things you mentioned, and I think the winding garden would be very nice also.
The bridge and the gazebo could both work fine, and yes, what you said is what I mean by natural. Don't be afraid to cover bits of those items with plants.

Looks like that good "may" work you'd have to see about size and if you can put them side by side know what I mean?

No any members here, other forums dedicated to cichlids have said more rocks but that's just NOT. What I wanna look at. I like it though (if that makes sense)

I like to see other tanks with beautiful natural rock scaped however I think my tank is very "busy" with the driftwood and rocks together and I love the way the light hits the driftwood in certain areas making the light brighter. So.... The point is, to each there own. Yes it's good to factor in nature but there in a glass box, clearly far from nature lol. We do the the best we can.

They have caves and plenty of good hiding places. So I'm happy and at the end of the day that's what's important. Your tank, your happiness that's what counts.

You the idea lol. I won't bore ya anymore.

I like the whole zen/Asian theme but am drawing a blank on how it should/could look. The winding path ( which could represent a stream ) in a different colored substrate sounds interesting. Keep in mind these are goldfish. In their endless search for food and with their inquisitive nature they can rearrange the landscaping. When I had some fancies after doing a PWC with gravel vacuuming, the gravel would have small hills and divots and looked unsightly (like a newly plowed field). I did not bother with it because the next day it would be pretty much leveled out and that was not because of the water flow from the filter. Good luck with your journey.

The white sand could be any of the things you mentioned, and I think the winding garden would be very nice also.

Here's the thing with the white sand idea -- I pitched it to the Missus and she brought up an interesting reminder that when I do deep-cleaning gravel vacs, I am going to have to get beneath that white sand and will probably mess the whole scape up doing that. Do you still believe the "winding garden path" could work with the pieces of cut-up plant?

The bridge and the gazebo could both work fine, and yes, what you said is what I mean by natural. Don't be afraid to cover bits of those items with plants.

Understood; do you believe the bridge and gazebo should be on opposite ends of the tank? And I shouldn't place the bridge right in the center as a true "centerpiece," should I?

Looks like that good "may" work you'd have to see about size and if you can put them side by side know what I mean?

Yes, I know what you mean; according to the specs on that site I provided, there are hoods in dimensions that fit 60 gallon tanks, and I am assuming that because Marineland makes them and also makes my tank, they SHOULD fit to replace my hoods I have now. But I just wanted to throw the possibility out there to you since we have been discussing the Marineland Double Bright LEDs and the fact that they do give that natural shimmering effect I have been looking for...and the fact that they come with the blue LED moonlights, which I think is really wicked...

I found them in dual hood form, so it seems all I would have to do is remove the hoods I have now and replace 'em with these LED Marinelands! :dance:

No any members here, other forums dedicated to cichlids have said more rocks but that's just NOT. What I wanna look at. I like it though (if that makes sense)

I like to see other tanks with beautiful natural rock scaped however I think my tank is very "busy" with the driftwood and rocks together and I love the way the light hits the driftwood in certain areas making the light brighter. So.... The point is, to each there own. Yes it's good to factor in nature but there in a glass box, clearly far from nature lol. We do the the best we can.

They have caves and plenty of good hiding places. So I'm happy and at the end of the day that's what's important. Your tank, your happiness that's what counts.

You the idea lol. I won't bore ya anymore.

You don't bore me. Not in the least bit. ;)

I was just givin' ya my two cents about the habitats for certain species, etc.

I like the whole zen/Asian theme but am drawing a blank on how it should/could look.

Hence, the problem WE have been having, as well...:blink::huh::(:ermm:

As I stated, THIS is the tank we are drawing inspiration from, and which piqued our interest for this theme:

pPETS-6704003dt.jpg

So that can give you an idea of how it COULD POSSIBLY work; we already have the gravel you see in the pic, plus that bridge that they're using off to the right -- we just need to figure out how to bring it all together...:banghead:

The winding path ( which could represent a stream ) in a different colored substrate sounds interesting. Keep in mind these are goldfish. In their endless search for food and with their inquisitive nature they can rearrange the landscaping. When I had some fancies after doing a PWC with gravel vacuuming, the gravel would have small hills and divots and looked unsightly (like a newly plowed field). I did not bother with it because the next day it would be pretty much leveled out and that was not because of the water flow from the filter. Good luck with your journey.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, and what I was explaining to Emerald in a small way above; indeed, I am constantly finding these guys rearranging the gravel and such to suit their needs...LOL...:rolleyes:

I am considering Emerald's suggestion of the different-colored substrate to represent a winding path/pond/rock-lined lake etc., but also balancing the issues of gravel vacuuming, goldfish rearranging during their booking/pecking process, etc...

Thanks for your input; please keep it coming! :thanks:

That's GREAT news!! I'd call to make sure and if so grab them!! Haha glad I don't bore ya lol.

That's what I was saying about the fact that they are Marineland hoods, and that they house the same LEDs as in the strip fixtures such as you use -- they even include the nighttime moonlights...

That's what I was saying about the fact that they are Marineland hoods, and that they house the same LEDs as in the strip fixtures such as you use -- they even include the nighttime moonlights...

I think your on to something here!!! Hahaha. Again... I think the whole theme will work of some correctly and it doesn't take a detour. Keep the theme on track.

I think your on to something here!!! Hahaha.

Wait -- do you mean with regard to those Marineland hoods? Did you get a chance to take a good look at them? It seems that would solve my problem short of wanting to keep the hoods I have now, no? And they ARE the LEDs that are in the "Double Bright" strip system like you run, aren't they? :hide:
Again... I think the whole theme will work of some correctly and it doesn't take a detour. Keep the theme on track.

So no additional "statuery" or ornaments beyond the bridge and gazebo, right? LOL....

The rest do up with plants?

Back
Top Bottom