It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then, there's the Penn Plax pieces you can put together to form sections of a shipwreck:

RR926__46951.1357580208.1280.1280.jpg

RR927__36522.1357580355.1280.1280.jpg

Plus some other random ones I found:

images

images

images

images

images

The possibilities, the more you Google Image search, seem infinite and endless with regard to these ships -- and the subsequent skulls/treasure chests/pirate theme stuff that accompany them -- yet something just doesn't...I don't know..."do it" for me with these...can anyone feel that too? Like they just scream FAKE; however -- HERE are examples of people who I think got it spot on with regard to a "mature" shipwreck theme:

Astounding 220G Pirate Shipwreck Discus Aquarium - YouTube

THAT guy's Discus tank looks AMAZING in my opinion, with the massive Spanish Galleon pieces...

There was also a video of a guy that had red LEDs surrounding his shipwreck which looked awesome too but I can't find it...

At any rate, what do you all -- and, of course, you Dino/Convict -- make of attempting the "pirate shipwreck" theme again and scrapping the Asian/Zen approach? Or does the Asian/Zen actually seem more "natural" in approach versus this pirate theme?

I will as you know address will your questions etc when I get a little free time. But you do know your driving me crazy lol.

I accept PayPal btw..

:)

I will as you know address will your questions etc when I get a little free time. But you do know your driving me crazy lol.

I accept PayPal btw..

:)

I didn't mean to drive you crazy; I was just sharing my thoughts at this point in time, as well as trying to perhaps get some other members' input on going in this different direction versus the Asian theme...;)

At the very least, when you have a free second, take a look at that guy's Discus tank on YouTube with the Spanish Galleon wreck and tell me your thoughts...

Additional Note:

I would welcome ANYONE'S input regarding the pirate/shipwreck setup versus the Asian/Zen theme, based on the images I have provided of some ships I found via a Google search...

Thank You!!

Of course, my other options would be the castle theme, which would involve two of THESE pieces:

030172027291C.jpg

Joined by THIS in the center of the tank, between them:

pPETS-3761582dt.jpg

Now, of course, I already have this bridge above...but I'm not certain if this is a better route to go over the Asian/Zen or pirate theme, or if I should consider the Atlantis/Greek Ruins setup, which would involve THESE:

Yet, for this theme, I don't think it would work with the natural pebble type gravel we have now; I see these Greek ruins working with purple or black substrate...

Any thoughts?

THIS is the "Top Fin Schooner Bow Wreck" piece I was referring to above, which used to reside in our old tank; it looked wicked with other pirate-oriented pieces around it:

images

If I had to pick between the pirate, castle, Atlantis/Greek, and Asian/Zen themes...
I kind of like the castle theme. Sure, a sunken ship makes more sense than a sunken city/castle, but the castle combined with the bridge opens up some interesting hard scape options with slate and other dark rocks. Thinking mountains, ravines, cliffs, etc. Something definitely "old world" about it.

I like the pirate theme. My 55 gallon is pirate themed and I quite like it. I have a large 2 piece ship in there, a treasure chest, 2 skulls, and red/green plants. Black gravel with a little red mixed in. Give me just a second and I will post a pic

If I had to pick between the pirate, castle, Atlantis/Greek, and Asian/Zen themes...
I kind of like the castle theme. Sure, a sunken ship makes more sense than a sunken city/castle, but the castle combined with the bridge opens up some interesting hard scape options with slate and other dark rocks. Thinking mountains, ravines, cliffs, etc. Something definitely "old world" about it.

Hello, Fresh!

Thanks so much for your heartfelt input; yeah, I too am not really leaning towards the Greek/Atlantis thing...it would be REALLY starting from scratch and I don't want to take out the substrate at this point, at ALL. AND, those Greek ruin pieces are REALLY expensive at the store. I have also already eliminated the "Tiki/Tropical/Volcano" kind of theme you see in some tanks as well, as I just think it's silly, what with underwater palm trees and exploding volcanoes and the like...

That leaves the shipwreck and the castle and the Zen theme which we're already in the midst of building -- I appreciate your input about the castle, and can kind of see it the same way as you, though I was envisioning less rockwork and more heavy (artificial) planting around the two castle pieces and the connecting bridge...I figured the castles would be formal enough in terms of decor, so the rest would just be built up with plants.

However, I have always, as stated, been in love with that pirate shipwreck kind of aquascape, and I don't know what it is...like I said, not done in a cheesy, childish kind of way, but more "mature" and "professional" like seen in that video of the Discus tank with the gigantic Spanish Galleon wreck. That being said, do ANY of those pirate ships I clipped spike your interest if built up with a lot of plants?

Being that some elements are already in place -- i.e. the bridge, Asian gazebo -- should I just go ahead with the Zen theme? What concerns me is that bridge being made to look "Asian" once we get the Bonzai tree in there...to me (and I think you saw it too), this bridge has an "old world" look to it that just seems to scream perfect for joining the castles together, with lots of green and other colorful plants surrounding it. BUT...Petsmart DID show their Top Fin starter tank with that same bridge in an Asian setup, accenting it with the little Asian plants to the left and right.

Then, there's the question of substrate -- is the natural colored pebble I have in there now okay for going with the castles or even a shipwreck for that matter? I don't know; to me, if we did the castles, because they have purple/blue overtones, the tank would look better with purple, blue or black gravel rather than the natural colored stones...what do you think?

Here are a couple pics. :)

Attachments

• 20121225_185027-1.jpg
    20121225_185027-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20130307_215825.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_215825.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20130307_215914.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_215914.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 50
I like the pirate theme. My 55 gallon is pirate themed and I quite like it. I have a large 2 piece ship in there, a treasure chest, 2 skulls, and red/green plants. Black gravel with a little red mixed in. Give me just a second and I will post a pic

Hey, Kim!

Thanks; I'd love to see your tank!

Well, hmmm.......not sure why they are upside down. Sorry about that :(
Most of the pieces were purchased from Petsmart and Petco. The ship is more of a galleon, rather than pirate ship, but I couldnt find a "pirate" ship in that large size, and this one works well anyway.

Okay...so a couple of questions for you, because I can totally envision my 60 gallon looking like this too...

Where did you find your ship? Is it the two-piece Penn Plax model that connects in the three pieces? And how did you build up your plants through and around the ship...did you just place them through the wreck?

Also -- do you think this theme could work with THIS kind of substrate?

Most of the pieces were purchased from Petsmart and Petco. The ship is more of a galleon, rather than pirate ship, but I couldnt find a "pirate" ship in that large size, and this one works well anyway.

Did you get a chance to scroll back one page and take a look at the images I found of available pirate-type wreck decor?

Where was your two-piece ship purchased -- Petco or Petsmart? Yes, the ship looks like a galleon, but it's definitely cool, and looks more realistic than the rather cheesy ships that are out there with the red and white plastic sails and such (see the clips I provided). Did it come in two pieces like that?

Thats better, lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130307_221134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_221134.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 46
  • ForumRunner_20130307_221152.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_221152.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom