I've got 99 problems and cycling is one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWitter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, it's the cycling newbie again. New week new problem. Last week I was having a drop in nitrates about 3 weeks into a cycle on a 29 gallon tank. This week, it appears there are no nitrites or nitrates registering with my API kit. However the ammonia levels do drop, even after adding more ammonia. Up until this past 3 days I was registering 1.0-2.0 ppm nitrites, and 10-20ppm nitrates. Now it shows 0 on both, but ammonia drops after I add it. What gives? Sorry so long, but I'm at my whits end after nearly 5 weeks of cycling for a 29 gallon tank. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. P.S. I have and continue to follow the testing instructions , i am very careful in everything I do. I've even tried reading up on cycling before posting and have read tons of articles. Help me please! :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi JWitter:

If your ammonia consistently zeroes out after you add it, and you're not registering any nitrite, it sure sounds to me like your tank is cycled.

I'm at a loss to explain your nitrate readings (I assume you're not doing water changes or using a nitrate-absorbing medium). The nitrate test is the trickiest one in the API kit, what with all the "vigorous shaking" of bottle 2 and the test tube and so on. I have no doubt that you're doing it correctly, but I guess it couldn't hurt to repeat it a couple of times to be sure you're not getting a false reading.

At any rate, if your ammonia and nitrite keep at zero you might want to consider adding your first fish and continuing to test. Did you use a bacterial additive or some established tank media or substrate at the start of your cycle?

-Yorg

Hey, it's the cycling newbie again. New week new problem. Last week I was having a drop in nitrates about 3 weeks into a cycle on a 29 gallon tank. This week, it appears there are no nitrites or nitrates registering with my API kit. However the ammonia levels do drop, even after adding more ammonia. Up until this past 3 days I was registering 1.0-2.0 ppm nitrites, and 10-20ppm nitrates. Now it shows 0 on both, but ammonia drops after I add it. What gives? Sorry so long, but I'm at my whits end after nearly 5 weeks of cycling for a 29 gallon tank. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. P.S. I have and continue to follow the testing instructions , i am very careful in everything I do. I've even tried reading up on cycling before posting and have read tons of articles. Help me please! :)

I used prime tank starter, I have not done any water changes, I have topped off the tank a few times. The only thing that I can figure is about 9 days ago, I removed 5 gallons held aside, so I could place some airlines under the gravel. I did remove all the fake plants and decorations for about an hour. I replaced the same water and everything in the tank. I did notice a drop in nitrates after this step, but all levels returned within a couple of days. I also left the API nitrate test I did yesterday in the bottle. Overnight the bottle turned orange indicating 5.
0-10.0 ppm. Again I am at a loss, I suppose I will solely focus on PH and ammonia, then drop in some fish. Final question, once ammonia is gone within 24 hrs and there is little to no nitrates that are showing, do I still do a massive water change?

I'm with the others, if there is no ammonia or nitrite, it sounds cycled to me. Do a big wc just in case and you should be ready to go!

Hi JWitter:

Yeah, even if the numbers look good you should probably go ahead and do a change before you add the fish. That way they'll super clean water to start with when you bring them home. Congratulations on a successful cycle!

-Yorg

I used prime tank starter, I have not done any water changes, I have topped off the tank a few times. The only thing that I can figure is about 9 days ago, I removed 5 gallons held aside, so I could place some airlines under the gravel. I did remove all the fake plants and decorations for about an hour. I replaced the same water and everything in the tank. I did notice a drop in nitrates after this step, but all levels returned within a couple of days. I also left the API nitrate test I did yesterday in the bottle. Overnight the bottle turned orange indicating 5.
0-10.0 ppm. Again I am at a loss, I suppose I will solely focus on PH and ammonia, then drop in some fish. Final question, once ammonia is gone within 24 hrs and there is little to no nitrates that are showing, do I still do a massive water change?

Awesome, thanks much. I was worried I needed to start over. On another note, every time I do a nitrate test with API it comes back yellow meaning no nitrates. However if I leave it setting around for a few hours it registers over 20ppm. Not sure what gives, but the tank nearly cycles 4ppm ammonia in under 48 hrs. So it appears I am very close finally.

Nothing to do with a tank ;-)

Awesome, thanks much. I was worried I needed to start over. On another note, every time I do a nitrate test with API it comes back yellow meaning no nitrates. However if I leave it setting around for a few hours it registers over 20ppm. Not sure what gives, but the tank nearly cycles 4ppm ammonia in under 48 hrs. So it appears I am very close finally.

You should read the test immediately after the developing period. If you doubt the result, run it again to verify.

X

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did another full test today after add-in 4 ppm ammonia last night. 7.6 ph, 1.0ppm ammonia, 2.0ppm nitrites, 50ppm nitrates. So it is cycling just under 4.0ppm ammonia in 24 hrs. I think I am finally good to go. Thanks again for the advice and input. Fish to come on Sat. ( after a pwc of course :-D )

Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for (I'm new to cycling tanks) but this might help. good luck with it. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom