I've got algae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I never had an algea problem before so I'm not sure how to deal with it. However, today I noticed a lot of algea forming on the gravel, stones, and my silk plants. I have a 7 gal with one male beta. I do have a florescent light that I usually put on periodically in the evening. Should I quit that? The tank is not in direct sunlight either. Any suggestions to clear this up would be appreciated.

What color algae? Rust algae won't respond to light deprivation, as it's not photosynthtic (you can tell by the lack of chloropyll, which would make it green). Green algae will. In that case, you can cover the tank for a couple of days. Leaving just enough light for the betta to see, of course.

And algae forms because of excess nutrients such as phosphates and nitrate in the water column. Try doing some larger water changes more frequently to get rid of these chemicals. Don't go for the easy route--adding Algae-be-Gone or whatever it's called. These things often mess up your tank. Avoiding chemicals is best...

i didn't think mine got direct sunlight eigther, but one day school was delayed and I notices it was. If your positive, buy some algea destroying stuff and make sure the tank stays clean.

edit: I gues i controdicted madasafish, i don't like chemicals eigther(i gues i contradicted myself too)

Yeah, it's green algae.

I do 10% water change once a week. I've been very good about doing this too, and I feel that the tank has been pretty clean.

Even though people say that otos do not like green algae, my otos like to munch on it very much. They look like little vacuum-cleaners when they mow that thing. Maybe you should try it. Get 2-3 otos and see what they do. When I had problem with green algae in my old tank, I got them and they got rid of it in 3 days. Otos are very delicate and want stable environment though.

Otos can live in wide water conditions. They do, however, require very good filtration and water changing routine. THey are very peaceful and rarely swim around, they just sit in one place or munch on algae from time to time, so it is hard to think that beta would bother them, since they practically do not swim around that much. Initial acclimatization is very essential. Make sure you do the routine of letting your tank water slowly drip into some container where they are in their LFS water. Let it drip there for 30 minutes, and them move them. After they are done with your algae make sure you give them some algae wafers at lights out and some blanched zucchini from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom