ive got males and females in my community tank! need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've got male and female moons (can't remember which kind exactly) and mickey mouse moons in my community tank. I have 2 that looks real close to giving birth and the 3rd def looks prego. I've got 2 ten gallon tanks that I'm currenty not using. I have everything I need to set up a fry tank for the mamas to give birth in. My question is what filter should I use. I was thinking of getting a sponge filter but which one? Any recomendations or are they pretty much all the same? I've already got a spare heater and maybe some spare decor.

Well I ordered one and received it today. Will post pics sometime shortly. I kinda messed up and ordered it cause I was plannin on upgrading the filter on my 20g. Well I ordered a penguin 350 to upgrade it and now I have a spare filter I coulda used with a sponge over the intake tube like you suggested. O well, I guess if the sponge filter doesn't make me happy I can use my whisper. I'm only out $6 if I don't use it.

aaronjohn20 said:
Well I ordered one and received it today. Will post pics sometime shortly. I kinda messed up and ordered it cause I was plannin on upgrading the filter on my 20g. Well I ordered a penguin 350 to upgrade it and now I have a spare filter I coulda used with a sponge over the intake tube like you suggested. O well, I guess if the sponge filter doesn't make me happy I can use my whisper. I'm only out $6 if I don't use it.

Haha that's what I always say "I'm only out $6 if I don't use it" and now I have 2 medium size totes and stuff laying around everywhere that I don't use after all these years. I put a stop to that and now I piece things together to make stuff work ;)

My whisper is acting up anyways, works fine one day and isn't working the next. Just gotta remove the intake tube from the impeller then put it back in and it comes to life. So I guess I did the right thing so far. I will prob run the whisper with a sponge over the intake and the sponge filter just in case

Ok so I set up my 10g for my females to give birth in. The water I put in the tank is water from there "home" tank. I am pretty sure that I have 2 mickey mouse moons and 1 other type of moon that are close to dropping their fry. Would it be ok for me to put all 3 of them in the 10? What will happen when 1 drops and the other 2 hasn't yet? I know I can put the momma that dropped back in the community tank but I'm worried the other 2 will eat fry? Oh what to do! I have another spare 10g, but I'm afraid the wife would kill me!

Back
Top Bottom