I've made ALL the mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
congrats:) just keep a close eye on the levels in the 55:) (shouldnt see any real spikes) and looks like you and your children are now the proud owners of a cycled and stocked 55g!!:)

hi, friends! So, I went and "rescued" a betta from the LFS. It's pretty and blue and they say it is a young "Half Moon Betta". It is in a little tiny cup, with blue filthy water. Ugh. I want to get him OUT of there, and into my 10 gallon tank. the question is, what would be the best way to acclimate hime from teh cup into the tank. I have to think the water is VERY different!

well being the patient person I am NOT :) I just decided to do him the same way as I do the other fish..just slower. I poured his water into a slightly bigger container and then just poured water from his new tank-to-be into the container..a little bit at a time. i just took it even slower than usual. Then after about an hour of that I netted him out of that gross water and put him in the 10 gallon tank. He looks pretty happy. Well, kind of confused, really. He flares up like he's aggressive (or scared) every time another fish looks at him or swims by, but he calms down quickly. Almost like he's saying "Oh sorry, you startled me". I think he has agoraphobia. :( fear of large places and crowds. I haven't named him yet. I want to wat until he settles in. I'm not sure if he's going to stay in the 10 gallon or eventually get moved to the 55.

I really hope he doesn't turn aggressive. He's pretty young. Or at least that is what the person at the LFS said..for what it's worth. All of the male bettas they had looked pretty young. Small, and their fins don't look fully developed. I really hope this guy grows a lot. He's pretty, but he's pretty small, too.

huma-huma said:
just be careful if putting him in with the 55g.. dont want him terrorizing the other fish

Or have the other fish terrorize him which is more likely. Just make sure he is getting food, they tend to eat slower. Or make sure he's not gorging. Mine had a timeout tank if he got too fat.

Well, so far my little betta baby seems to be doing well. He's really cute. he goes up to the other fish, like he's going to say Hi or even maybe flare up a little, but when they turn and look at him he just changes directions real quick like "Psyche! Just kidding!"

I haven't thought of a name for him yet. I was thinking about naming him "Monk", because he was afraid of everything...but now he seems to be coming out of his shell a little. He's very pretty, and seems very young. Seems pretty healthy, too, so far.

SO now I have a different question. It's about my tanks..all three of them. With my nifty new PWC system, I have been changing small amounts of water in all three tanks twice a day. I have been taking off the first inch or two of the 55G, and an inch off of the 10G's andd then adding new water..TWICE A DAY, thinking that a little preventative PWC would keep the NO3's down. Then last week I CHECKED the NO3's, and they are OFF THE CHARTS! between 40ppm and 160ppm and even darker red results....literally OFF THE CHARTS!

obviously little water changes are not enough. So I have been doing 30 - 40 % water changes TWICE A DAY for four days, and, while my NO3's in the 10G tanks are coming down to reasonable levels about 5 - 10ppm, the 55G is still pretty high. I have been emptying a 33 gallon drum twice a day with my PWC's. That's a lot of water!

The Ammonia and NO2's are very low, zero or close to it, in all three tanks. And the fish are all happy and healthy. But I'm hoping I am not destined to changing out 60+ gallons of water a day! Will the NO3's level out eventually? The 55 has live plants....I just bought some more....but the plants are small and the tank is large.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance....

do back to back 50%pwc's on the 55...wait an hour and take a reading.. then go back 24 hours later and test again. let us know

Almost Automatic PWC system...

Thought I might share this, It's a "schematic" I drew of my PWC system....and it WORKS! Just...don't get distracted and leave anything running!:whistle:

Attachments

• schematic for PWC system.jpg
    schematic for PWC system.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 834
Territoons said:
Thought I might share this, It's a "schematic" I drew of my PWC system....and it WORKS! Just...don't get distracted and leave anything running!:whistle:

This is so low resolution I can't read the text. Any possibility of getting a higher resolution copy for viewing? This looks super intuitive. :)

I don't understand why it won't post in a high resolution. My original is higher resolution. I think I'll put it on a web page tomorrow and then post a link to that web page....if anyone is interested enough for me to go to that trouble?

Back
Top Bottom