Jack dempsey male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Critter1990 said:
Check my tank out on my profile pics and let me know what you think! I'm sure you know a lot more then me do so if you think there is something I can do to make it better please tell me!!!.

Black background for sure!!!!!!! I would shoot for a male around the same size as your female and see what happens. Not like the female is gonna stop growing to wait for her mate. You may never get him to her size if he starts out smaller. Plus......the bigger the fish the easier it will be to sex.

True, I was hoping for a male when I bought the fish but turned out to be a female

Think I could keep a JD in a ten gallon for a few months until it got a little bigger??

Critter1990 said:
Think I could keep a JD in a ten gallon for a few months until it got a little bigger??

10g tank would be a worst case scenario type thing. Say your big tank were to bust or start leaking and you had no other option. Putting him in a tank that small to grow him out is like you living in a van, down by the river. Haha......little nod to Chris Farley. Seriously though, if that's what you want to do, nobody can stop you, but don't expect the poor guy to be very happy or healthy. Plus you want him in tip top shape for his first date. What about a divider for your current 55g.

jetajockey said:
I agree but males also get substantially larger than females at full size.

True.....but in this case, where the female is in an established tank, in which she feels is "her" tank, it maybe better for the male to be introduced at close to the same size so old girl won't tear him to shreds. I've seen female jacks get pretty mean and territorial.

Back
Top Bottom