Jack dempsey skittish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wutchawant

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My one year old Dempsey is still very skittish. He freaks out anytime anyone walks up to the tank. He shares a 75 gallon tank with an adult Pleco. Is this normal behavior or will he eventually grow out of it.

My one year old Dempsey is still very skittish. He freaks out anytime anyone walks up to the tank. He shares a 75 gallon tank with an adult Pleco. Is this normal behavior or will he eventually grow out of it.

They are usually very skittish. Mine is but is just a juvenile still but don't think they really grow out of that.

That's normal. I've had 2 JDs. One would just stay in the corner , and another that would bolt across that tank whenever someone walked by. The skittish one stayed that way for 8 years even with dithers.

Yup that's seems about right for the species. I have kept them off and on for over 10 years, it's one of my fav. Classic cichlids. But i have out grown them for this exact reason.

I can recommend some dither fish depending on the tank size. They should help him feel a little more at ease with all the extra movement in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom