Jack dempsey tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jandkmcdonald

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a new plan for my 75g tank. I want to put a grown jack Dempsey in there alone but I have some questions
Will a fully grown jack Dempsey look small in a 75g?
Will it be better or worse to put 2 dempseys together?
Will it be ok to put a pleco with it?
How long will a jack dempsey live if it's already 6-7 inches?

You will get aggression issues if the JD are not the opposite sex.

Do not put a common pleco. Do not get a pleco to clean up food. Only get a pleco that grows up to 5-6", and one that you like to look at. Plecos tend to stay hidden during the day. Why not get top swimming fish like giant danios or silver dollars (no less than a school of 5). Why not get a young JD so it is use to the other fish?

Jack Dempseys can live over 8 years. Size of a JD does not necesarrily determine its age.

You can't keep 2 male JD's together as it will end up nasty. But a male and female is fine. I have a 63 gallon tank with a JD and a Green Terror and no other fish. Get along fine so far but they are both only 4".

As the other guy said Silver Dollars work well with them but they need to be in groups of at least four. Boring fish though in my mind but will bring out the JD more as they tend to be quite shy. Not sure about giant danio's, I think personally you might lose some of them with a JD.

Ok thanks I will take that in consideration. I am looking for fewer fish that get big and colorful so I might look at some green terrors also. Thanks to both for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom