Jack Dempseys dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
My larger make Dempsey is hanging upside down with his head facing towards the sand breathing heavy as the small female is dead. I'm worried about the other fish in the tank my oscar hangs on the sand all the time, I've heard that is natural but I've been loosing fish. I don't reckon adding any chemical or using the same stuff for multiypull tanks. I've done a water change last week with a change in the filter when everybody was fine. On Friday that's when it went downhill. I'm not that sure what my readings are for the tanks thought.

Thanks
Plecolover18

I dont do water and filter change at the same time. I am thinking your levels have to be off. My suggestion is to take ypur water to be tested if you dont have a kit.

I lost 4 jacks a couple of weeks ago to high ammonia.

Changing the filter will likely have thrown your tank into a mini-cycle and the problems you're seeing are from water toxicity. As Candi1990 said, I highly recommend you test your water ASAP. In the meantime, do a 30% water change, wait two hours, then do another one, temperature matching and conditioning, pouring the water back into the tank slowly.

Why would you change your filter media?? What do you think this does?? All your doing is throwing away your good bacteria and forcing it to grow on new media again throwing your tank into a cycle. Do more water changes. You have an oscar and a Dempsey so the tank should be at least 100 gallons. You will still need to do at least 2 50% water changes a week to keep them healthy in 100 gallons. I'm still trying to figure out why people take the good filter media out of their filters, throw it away and start their cycle again. Only replace media when it's falling apart. You should only be using sponges and bio media. Don't use carbon or ammonia remover.

Why would you change your filter media?? What do you think this does?? All your doing is throwing away your good bacteria and forcing it to grow on new media again throwing your tank into a cycle. Do more water changes. You have an oscar and a Dempsey so the tank should be at least 100 gallons. You will still need to do at least 2 50% water changes a week to keep them healthy in 100 gallons. I'm still trying to figure out why people take the good filter media out of their filters, throw it away and start their cycle again. Only replace media when it's falling apart. You should only be using sponges and bio media. Don't use carbon or ammonia remover.

I just started a thread on this earlier this morning. Pump instructions and filter instructions tell you to change it every couple of weeks. I am sure now it's to make them money but like him I thought clean filter meant clean water, which isn't true at all!

It's a mistake lots of people make, Plecolover 18. It's not your fault--you just followed the instructions you were given. Now you know never to change your filter. I learned the same way, believe me. Your fish should be fine with consistent water changes until the tank finishes re-cycling. :)

It's a mistake lots of people make, Plecolover 18. It's not your fault--you just followed the instructions you were given. Now you know never to change your filter. I learned the same way, believe me. Your fish should be fine with consistent water changes until the tank finishes re-cycling. :)

I can verify this. Almost forty years ago, I was told to clean my corner filters (on a 55g) frequently and change the carbon and floss in them. Water changes happened when I had to do a complete tank tear down every 3 months (recommended!). This was quite the chore. I gave it up after a couple years. Now with my 36g, I was trying to do things correctly and did follow the 'change filter media'. As I was at my sink, ready to do that again because of a reeeaaallly long lasting algae bloom, I was hit with "what the heck happens to the beneficial bacteria?":facepalm:. Fortunately, I found this site. This weekend, I will attempt to medicate with Metro my poor jack with HITH.
In short, most of the advice here is sound and will hopefully help my fish as well as yours. What I would have given for this info forty years ago.

Last edited:
I can verify this. Almost forty years ago, I was told to clean my corner filters (on a 55g) frequently and change the carbon and floss in them. Water changes happened when I had to do a complete tank tear down every 3 months (recommended!). This was quite the chore. I gave it up after a couple years. Now with my 36g, I was trying to do things correctly and did follow the 'change filter media'. As I was at my sink, ready to do that again because of a reeeaaallly long lasting algae bloom, I was hit with "what the heck happens to the beneficial bacteria?":facepalm:. Fortunately, I found this site. This weekend, I will attempt to medicate with Metro my poor jack with HITH.
In short, most of the advice here is sound and will hopefully help my fish as well as yours. What I would have given for this info forty years ago.

I have been changing mine for 5!!! Luckily I had hearty fish and they survived all the cycling I had no idea!

Back
Top Bottom