jack depmsy femal or male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zerolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
how to tell which one is male and femal?

Attachments

• QQ??20140122151736.jpg
    QQ??20140122151736.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 91
  • QQ??20140122151751.jpg
    QQ??20140122151751.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 90
  • QQ??20140122151809.jpg
    QQ??20140122151809.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 92
  • QQ??20140122151823.jpg
    QQ??20140122151823.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 92
On jack ds look at the lower jaw/cheek the bottom third females have colour and the males dont just like pink and when there bigger males will be around a third bigger with more colouring

On jack ds look at the lower jaw/cheek the bottom third females have colour and the males dont just like pink and when there bigger males will be around a third bigger with more colouring

but the male one always hide. Femal will swimming around. I don't know what is happen to the male.

Both of mine hide, male worse than female. The fry I had (up until they were about a year about 5" long) were all very friendly. But my older ones will hide the second they think you are coming to the tank.

Both of mine hide, male worse than female. The fry I had (up until they were about a year about 5" long) were all very friendly. But my older ones will hide the second they think you are coming to the tank.

the funny thins is, the hide at back have a bigger eyes than the other one. And u can see there is little bit red color on the front one.

They both look male to me just going off of the coloring of the gill plate. If u really want to know, catch and "vent" them

They both look male to me just going off of the coloring of the gill plate. If u really want to know, catch and "vent" them

I take them out and see the vent, almost the same,,,I cant distinguish. But the back one of the first pic always chase the front one

It will be easier to tell when they are older but looks like two males to me. neither have coloring on the lower jaw.

By the coloring they look make to me too. My female isn't as colorful as either of those. I don't know about the jaw coloring or whatever. I didn't know mine apart til they mad babies.

I would say male at back in first pic and male in third pic other pics female my best guess

By the coloring they look make to me too. My female isn't as colorful as either of those. I don't know about the jaw coloring or whatever. I didn't know mine apart til they mad babies.

can u post urs? thank you, just want to see the difference

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390571004.428789.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390571004.428789.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 55
Ok here they are. The one on the front is a female. Back is the male.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390572724.003256.jpg

how many do u have. Today I just bring my jD to petstore and exchange it with a male, the one I really know it is male for sure. And also there are some female in the the store tank, it seems really easy to distinguish the gender, the female has very conspicuous blue on the low gill.

Just the two now. I had 4 adults and then lots of fry, but I rehomed them all but the two pictured. Big fish need big space I ran out of space lol.

So now you have one of each? Our lfs here don't exchange fish, good for you! Now you have a pair, male and female?

Back
Top Bottom