Jack pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pair of jacks that may possibly end up being breeders. Im not 100% sure how to start giving them the breeding hint, any advice would be well appreciated, please and thank you.

Ya thats a lil high, a water change will do good n may trigger spawning good luck

Anything in particular i should feed them? Do they need to be a certain size or age? Ive done my fair share of internet research but nothing beats experienced hobbyist

Just give them time. Mine didn't start breeding till around a year old or so. They do it on their own, just feed them and keep the water clean. If they are old enough, sometimes a high protein snack can help get them into condition. Bloodworms and chopped earthworms work great.

Thanks for all the help. They're due for a water change and cleaning so hopefully they'll be real happy by the end of the night. I need to get them some high protein food, they're a little small at this point too. They dont seem to grow much.

Yes fish, from my expirence are not fast growers but like stated above time is key they will breed eventually

Did the water change, fish look real happy and colors are super bright. Im thinking of changing substrate though, my gravel is way to big for them to move. Would sand be acceptable to use?

Did the water change, fish look real happy and colors are super bright. Im thinking of changing substrate though, my gravel is way to big for them to move. Would sand be acceptable to use?
definitely,sand is great

Im a little curious as to how i would clean it though. I havent used sand in any of my tanks yet
hold the vacuum an inch or so above it. the poop and stuff stays on top so you dont need to go down in it

good luck! just got a 3.5 inch male myself! cant wait to see what he turns out to look like fully grown!

I can try and get more, shes a little more skiddish than the male. Until feeding time comes around then they wont go away ha. I'll try and get some more tomorrow morning and put them up.

Those fish look like babies, by the size in the pictures you have a ways to go before they reach sexual maturity. How large are they in reality?

Its not that bad. Just move some rocks and most the dirt and such floats up and suck it out. Little extra work for my favorite hobby.

Back
Top Bottom