Jade eye turning black?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have some jade eyed cichlids in my community tank, it wasn't a community tank until recently it was only jade eyed but I now have zebra danios and corys.

But I have noticed that 1/3 of one of them has gone black from the tail upwards.

Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407776621939.jpg
    1407776621939.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 109
I am fully aware that they change colour alot, as 2 of them are a mating couple who have produced offspring who live in the tank, but they normally turn a yellow colour or go dark all over...

But this chap has decided to go fully black tailed.

Looks a bit odd, not in a good way. I don't know, sorry. Not seen it in any i've owned.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone have any idea what's rhe issue here? He seems to be acting normally.

I have just done my water checks

The nitrate and nitrite levels are ok as is the ammonia

Ph is very low though

I have just performed another water change and turned my air pump up for more aeration to try to raise the ph with out using filthy chemicals

Could this be the issue? As I have read that some fish change colour as an indication of poor water quality

I Have now found my Pleco dead this morning. He ,must of been dead all day yesterday because i noticed he was still in the same position as he had been all day, so i decided to give him a nudge and a poke and he didnt move...

I have tested all my water levels and everything seems fine other than the PH being low.

i have tried all sorts to raise the PH but all have failed. i am now going to opt for using a bottle of PH up to stabilize the water.

Could these fish have died through a low PH?

None of them have had any wounds, white spot or anything obvious on the corpses or no obvious sign of infection of disease...

Please can someone help me out i need advise before i lose all of my fish. i am lost now, i am out of ideas and need your help to save my tank

PLEASE HELP

What did you read the ph at?
Has it plummeted suddenly? Have you put a lot of newly purchased bogwood in there?
Plecos do just die suddenly btw. Some are hardier than others of course, what was it?
What other fish have you lost?Massive water changes can upset some fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What did you read the ph at?
Has it plummeted suddenly? Have you put a lot of newly purchased bogwood in there?
Plecos do just die suddenly btw. Some are hardier than others of course, what was it?
What other fish have you lost?Massive water changes can upset some fish.

Thanks for the speedy response.

I appreciate your input

It was a common plec. Dark brown with a lighter brown 'camo' affect. He had show absolutely no signs of illness, if anything i thought he was the healthiest. He was always active, he was eating well and i have never observed him being targeted by the other fish.

No new bogwood. I have however added a school of 6 zebra danios and 3 corys over the last 2 week, could the new additions of affected the water quality that much?

When i do a PH test the water turns yellow, when i want it to be a blue colour. I had it at a PH of 6.7, when ideally i wanted it in the low 7's

I have done 2 water changes in 2 week and i am due another one next wednesday. But i was wondering if skipping a weeks water change would be beneficial?

Thanks again for your reply

Yes, in all honesty I would ride it out for a while, don't try to mess with the ph and avoid a water change for a week and half and see how it looks. Barring any major nitrite/nitrate/ammonia in the water keep your next w/c to 15% or less.

Don't add any more fish till things look a bit more stable, I've no idea what's going on with your Sajicas tail but if the other fish remain ok, just ignore it for now. As I say, plecs do pass away unexpectedly sometimes, although not usually the standard b/n type.

Main thing is don't panic and keep tinkering with the water, it's not always the problem, the fish may be poor stock. Possibly try a different supply next time.

Your water does sound a little on the acidic side, but that's ok for SA fish within reason. Not sure about the Danios but they are usually pretty hardy, adaptable fish anyway.

Yes, in all honesty I would ride it out for a while, don't try to mess with the ph and avoid a water change for a week and half and see how it looks. Barring any major nitrite/nitrate/ammonia in the water keep your next w/c to 15% or less.

Don't add any more fish till things look a bit more stable, I've no idea what's going on with your Sajicas tail but if the other fish remain ok, just ignore it for now. As I say, plecs do pass away unexpectedly sometimes, although not usually the standard b/n type.

Main thing is don't panic and keep tinkering with the water, it's not always the problem, the fish may be poor stock. Possibly try a different supply next time.

Then thats exactly what i will do.

I will test the water every other day as normal, but i will not do a change for a week or so and see if the PH level rises naturally.

Like i say the Nitrite/Nitrate and ammonia levels are all normal. So i know the actual toxicity of the water isnt the culprit.

And from my experience regardless of PH the fish will adapt to it i have a friend who has had the same fish for 10 years and he never uses tapsafe or water conditioner.

I have also not used a stress zyme or stress coat for a while, 1 year or so, should i think about adding some?

And as for the Sajica with the black tail he is fully black now. not even got any stripes on him, he is just jet black...

I have noticed the colour patterns change before, usually at breeding time. My female used to go yellowish and the males turned darker but never this black. Since his mating female died he is jet black.

thanks for you help

:fish1:

Actually one of my Panamensis went all black for a while when a bit smaller but has normal colour now. Forgot about that! Looked perfectly ok otherwise though.

Back
Top Bottom