Jaguar diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olewillis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 157 gallon tank. Has been set up for 2 months now. I have 12 giant danio(dither fish), a 6 inch JD, 4 inch GT, 4 inch Texas Chiclid, and a 4 inch jaguar chiclid. All the fish eat Rosie reds of course, and they all eat pellets , but the jaguar. Are jaguars live feeder only fish? Is mine just being picky and maybe I should just feed pellets? Are there frozen foods that don't cost alot?

Thanks!!!

Pellets are better for him,bloodworm will work too,feeders are dirty wean him off

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never known jaguars to be picky eaters and I'm surprised you are having a problem with pellets. You could try switching pellet brands and see if that works. I know NLS has a garlic flavor, which fish seem to enjoy. The feeders isn't something you want to do long term.

Best of luck.

Thanks I got him eating frozen krill ATM I'll keep trying other brands.

They will get hooked on live food but it is good that it is eating frozen , you might have to withhold anything but pellets for a few days until it starts to eat it.

The issue may also be the two catfish I have in the tank... If I just feed pellets which I did for a week. The jaguar doesn't go for them an the catfish eat ALL the pellets. Maybe he is shy?? Haha

He will come out of his shell soon and when he does the others will probably let him eat first lol,, I have the same problem with one in my grow out tank , he is a little smaller than some of my other fish and when they all get excited for the pellets he kind of watches and will only grab a few stray pellets, he is a little shy. He gets alot more excited for frozen food. It will change , when they get big it is the other way around.

They only reason im worried is the catfish are channel catfish that ATM are 4 inch but I bought them at 2 inches a month ago.... So they may extremely outgrow the jag.

I mean in the end of the day the car fish were 3 dollars. An I have a pond....

Back
Top Bottom