Java fern browning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The algae is the culprit? I just thought it looked unsightly! What should I do?

They are a very hardy plant. I had the same issue so I dipped them In peroxide for 15 min and washed them off and they clean up great! But that is a quick fix if you want a long term fix find out what is causing the algae in the first place. I got some amano shrimp and I dont have any issues any more.

image-429184801.jpg
Sorry lol I did a fifty fifty with water and peroxide.

They are a very hardy plant. I had the same issue so I dipped them In peroxide for 15 min and washed them off and they clean up great! But that is a quick fix if you want a long term fix find out what is causing the algae in the first place. I got some amano shrimp and I dont have any issues any more.

Sorry lol I did a fifty fifty with water and peroxide.

That's a nice looking java fern. How do you get them to grow that size? I've had mine for 18 months or more, and although they multiply abundantly, they do so when they are fairly small. I end up with a large clump of small ferns. Do you think the problem is that I don't divide them?

That's a nice looking java fern. How do you get them to grow that size? I've had mine for 18 months or more, and although they multiply abundantly, they do so when they are fairly small. I end up with a large clump of small ferns. Do you think the problem is that I don't divide them?

image-330377676.jpg

Here's the tank, I have way bigger ones, make sure you don't plant them. Let the roots float, like tied to DW or rocks. And I pull off the little ones as soon as they start. I got a 2.5 that I toss all my extra j moss and j ferns in to grow out in. And if you want bigger ones? Restrict them a little. If you give them all the light food and everything else they want, all there gonna do is make babies Just my opinion, i hope you figure it out. And seriously get some amano shrimp. Their expensive , but well worth it.

Are they hard to keep? My tank is close to two windows, and I have had nitrate issues. If I do treat w/ peroxide, can I treat the Anubis as well?

Are they hard to keep? My tank is close to two windows, and I have had nitrate issues. If I do treat w/ peroxide, can I treat the Anubis as well?

Not at all as long as your tank is cycled. I know the anubis are hardy as well but I personally haven't done the Anubis. I would research the dip with those.I have mine in another tank and when they get bad I clean them by hand

What do you have in your tank?(fish) I have six oto's and three amano shrimp in mine. Along with juvi angels and some guppies. But what your really looking for is a balance in the tank. Lighting, ferts,growth, algae eaters and good scheduling. Try to plant some heavy feeding stem plants to soak up the extra nutrients. And above all stay excited and experiment. I'm still learning. :)

I have a Plecostamus, syno cat, 3 hatchets, 9 rummies, and a ram. What plants would you recommend? I have just have hornwort, anubius, and java fern. Or should I just get more of that?

I have a Plecostamus, syno cat, 3 hatchets, 9 rummies, and a ram. What plants would you recommend? I have just have hornwort, anubius, and java fern. Or should I just get more of that?

I don't know ? What kind of lighting and sub straight do you have? Is the ram predatory, aggressive? I have never kept them before.

The algae is the culprit? I just thought it looked unsightly! What should I do?

algae isn't the culprit, i was simply pointing out you might want to take care of that as well before it spreads to other plants. the reason why your java fern is turn brown is because of direct light exposure. java fern is a low light plant. when exposing it directly to light, it will "burn", thus turning brown. i suggest you put it under some shade or some big leafy plant

algae isn't the culprit, i was simply pointing out you might want to take care of that as well before it spreads to other plants. the reason why your java fern is turn brown is because of direct light exposure. java fern is a low light plant. when exposing it directly to light, it will "burn", thus turning brown. i suggest you put it under some shade or some big leafy plant

IMO it is the algae blocking light and stealing nutrient from the plant. Mine are under direct light just fine. As soon as I got rid of the algae with a dip and got shrimp that eat hair algae they are doing great under direct lighting. I mean maybe that's a possibility but unless you have crazy high light I doubt it.

IMO it is the algae blocking light and stealing nutrient from the plant. Mine are under direct light just fine. As soon as I got rid of the algae with a dip and got shrimp that eat hair algae they are doing great under direct lighting.

the algae might stealing the nutrient but definitely not the light. java fern is a low light. it will even grow under a rock. i'm noticing my java ferns turning brown, no algae whatsoever, because it's has a direct light exposure. what kind of light are you using btw?

Yeah, my tank is definitely low light, also 2 ft. Deep. Can those shrimp eat algae on the glass? Also, how high a temp can they take?
I have a cheap perfecta that came free w/ my tank & a little two bulb light that came w/ my 20 gallon crammed on top. I was thinking about getting a new one b/c I'm using my 20 again.

the algae might stealing the nutrient but definitely not the light. java fern is a low light. it will even grow under a rock. i'm noticing my java ferns turning brown, no algae whatsoever, because it's has a direct light exposure. what kind of light are you using btw?

I'm using four 18 watt cfl's on that tank but on my 36g I have 2 t5ho's and my j ferns are fine there too.

Yeah, my tank is definitely low light, also 2 ft. Deep. Can those shrimp eat algae on the glass? Also, how high a temp can they take?
I have a cheap perfecta that came free w/ my tank & a little two bulb light that came w/ my 20 gallon crammed on top. I was thinking about getting a new one b/c I'm using my 20 again.

Mine try but I still have to clean what the oto's,snails and shrimp don't eat. (Not much) I keep my tank at 80 degrees and they love it. I have had them for two weeks and my tank and them are doing great.

unless you have discus or in the process of treating a disease, i don't undertand why the temp is that high. although fish will tolerate high temp, it actually shortens the lifespan of the fish. plants also don't like temp that high as well

Getting some discus soon hopefully. Trying to get everyone ready. I am treating for internal parasites as well but am using meds for that.

Back
Top Bottom