java fern has hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie/Aggie

Aquarium Advice Activist
java fern has hair algea?
It's an ADF tank, very low light, it is near a window but not in direct sun for more than 1/2 hour a day. moderately planted, just starting with 2 small ones. tank size is 5.5gal for 2 adf's 2/3 full of water. about 6-8' deep (water level). Cannot get Algea fix in Canada, any suggestions?
It rubs right off easy enough. I'm just in the middle of turning this from a 100% change tank to a cycled one. I think I've given you everything I can think of. My tank params are well within proper range for this stage of the cycle.

Could they be diatoms from the cycling process? If so, they will go away with time, a little more light, otocinclus catfish, or most snails

Could the algae really be roots? Java fern sends plantlets along its leaves and can turn kind of hairy and spotty looking.

If it is hair algae, suggest

1) If NO3 is very low, try feeding the frogs more liberally or increasing the bioload (snails or an oto or two).

or

2) If NO3 is high, increase water changes and ensure there is no excess food rotting away.

You could use a reliable test kit, trial and error, or intuition for which to try first. But for most hair algae seems at least somewhat related to nitrogen issues. It may not be related to NO3 though, just a best guess.

JMO/good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom