Java fern melted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone ever have their java fern melt? All mine out of nowhere just went brown and died. No other plants affected

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never heard of that before. How long did you have them for?

I have had amazon swords melt if they are really shaded, but never java ferns.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never kept java fern but my java moss melted. I've narrowed it down to either the water being to warm *or* too much light. :(

I've never kept java fern but my java moss melted. I've narrowed it down to either the water being to warm *or* too much light. :(

must have been too much light. I read that elsewhere and have recently started alternating my light from back to front on my tank.

Thanks for the confirmation Nick. I hope that works out for your tank.

The light setup I have for the tank I have is practically non existent so I thought I needed low light plants but I guess it gets enough natural light. My bacopa caroliniana is at least doing fine.

oddly my bananna plant went into a superbloom and now like half decayed. I think it will recover but I started using home made root tabs which seem to be booming plant growth.
My tiger lilly and banana went from low to lilly pads in about a week but I started trimming them because the pads go bad at the top of the water pretty fast.

Ive stopped alternating my light as I think it did more harm than good with my plant setup.

I disagree about too much light for Java Fern and Java Moss, mine is on top of my bog wood right under the lights and its growth is mental. I have to thin it every 2-3 weeks.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437081035.360583.jpg
Moss on left and right, Fern in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had this happen, low tech tank and it was doing excellent.. than it just went to mush.. i left it alone and it came back but not as clean..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom