Java Fern plantlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I'm getting small plantlets appearing on the java fern. Some threads say this is normal, others say it indicates a deficiency?

The plant looks otherwise ok. Might be buried a little deep, no algae on leaves, no holes in leaves and sits in front of one of the cheap underwater lights so light should be ok.

I also read you need to really try to kill these off? (No pressure there then...)

Well I don't know about that, it's possible, but it will grow roots while on the leaf and you can pluck it and tie it on somewhere

I never waited long enough. Once a few roots are well grown, I run a finger down the leaf and if it detatches, it's fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:) that's very tempting. I think the underwater lights are just giving enough so that it's doing something. (Better than the melon swords anyways).

What kind of lighting do you have?

A quad t5ho but the tank is 2.5ft high. I did have a dual t5ho as well on this side of tank but swapped to some cheap underwater lights that cost $50 about a month ago. Was looking at a strip LED light of $400 so these underwater lights worth a try. I don't think they throw out huge amounts of light but the plants are only several inches away.

Back
Top Bottom