java fern problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
i luv my apple snails. but ones pushing it. it ate almost all of my beautiful java fern. i dont have another tank to put either one in right now.

will the fern make it if it doesnt have any leaves but it does have those little stick things in the center on the leaf?

and why does he pick the java fern. he has the compacta sword, dwarf lilly's apogoton and he picks the fricken java fern!.

will the fern survive in an uncycled tank?

and another question will it survive at all?

There are two reasons for it.

The plant was on its way to dying anyways, in which place it ate it because they eat dying plants.

Your not feeding it enough. You need to drop food in the tank specially for it, atleast every other day.

ic. im planning on putting it in my 29 gallon anyway but i dont know if my java fern'll survive

no im not...

i dont really use c02 because last time id di the sugar/yeast stuff got into my tank.

krap101 said:
i luv my apple snails. but ones pushing it. it ate almost all of my beautiful java fern. i dont have another tank to put either one in right now.

will the fern make it if it doesnt have any leaves but it does have those little stick things in the center on the leaf?

and why does he pick the java fern. he has the compacta sword, dwarf lilly's apogoton and he picks the fricken java fern!.

will the fern survive in an uncycled tank?

and another question will it survive at all?

Despite popular belief snails do not actually go after plants, they do however start to eat the dead matter the second the plant starts to die.
I have several species of snails in my planted tanks and have NEVER had a problem with them eating my plants. Especially the java fern, it's darn near indestructible. I suspect it was already dying when you bought it or you have a serious nitrate/nitrite/ammonia problem.

oh... will it survive if i prune off the stems of the leaves and leave the rhizome there?

What are all the parameters of the tank? Nitrate, temps, watts per gallon (you are using appropriate "heat color" flourescent lights right?)...phosphate if you have a kit for it.

I have seen java ferns deteriate in my tank from two different reasons: One extremely high temps (above 85 degrees) and when another plant which can filter out nutrients got too close and basically "cleaned" the water so the java fern got nothing but filtered water with basically no nutrients in it.

err ill check it tomorrowim too tired.

i have 2 10 watt lights in there so thats like 2 wpg.

i dont know the heat thingymagiggie

KP101,

As noted by others Java Fern is a very hardy plant. If it were my plant, I would trim back all the damaged/dead/dying leaves at the rhizome. Tie the Rhizome to your driftwood/rock or wedge the roots in a crevice. IME I have found Java doesn't do well when planted in the substrate. I would be curious to hear what the water parameters are. I have found that CO2 isn't critical for growth nor is intense lighting. I have had my best results using moderate light, 1.5-to-2.0 WPG. Good luck!

Best regards,

William

yeah its on a driftwood. i just wanted to make sure i should cut it because it might of killed the plant.

technically it isnt dead just the leaves are being eaten.

Back
Top Bottom