Java fern question and help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
need some troubleshooting help with my Java ferns and of course, this forum is the best place for help. Here is a quick rundown of my tank:

Setup: 10 gallon FW shrimp tank ( red cherries and green shrimp + 1 oto and a fair amount of pond snails) which has been up and running for 10 months. No algae problems and excellent water parameters.

Filtration: HOB Aquaclear with sponge filter over intake.

Substrate: Eco complete with small amount of gravel on top.

Lights: 2x15 watt compact fluourescent lights x 9 hours per day

temp: 76 degrees

Ferts: all Seachem Flourish products; excel, flourish, potassium, nirtogen, iron x 3 days per week and every water change (10 days or so).

Plants: Java moss, X-mas moss, Peacock moss, Java fern, Anubias (Nana and Coffeefolia), red and green Wendtii, dward sags, and moss balls, Windelov fern and anacharis

Here is the problem: All the plants flourish well except the Java fern which has never been as healthy as I expected. I always hear that Java fern is so easy to grow but I have terrible luck with it. For the first few months, the ferns grew slightly but nothing dramatic and never seemed to flourish. Now, for the last few months, I have noticed small pinholes, dull leaf color, transparency and missing pieces of leaf. Also, I have notice that new leaf seem to be affected more than the older, more mature leaves. I attribute the missing pieces to the pond snails but the underlying issues are still there. I would truly appreciate any help or tips on my situation. Please let me know if I forgot any additional information that may help! Thanks!

The first thing that I noticed is that you didn't list Phophates amoung the Ferts that you are dosing.

However the problem that you are describing sounds like Potassium Deficiency. I would up your Potassium dosing to see if that takes care of the problem.

I purchased a bottle of Seachem Phosphorus awhile back and I notice a quick outbreak of BBA when I started dosing. I stopped an the BBA went away. I haven't used it since but I'll try increasing the dose of potassium.

Back
Top Bottom