Java fern rotting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought a java fern recently and followed the instructions on the box which said to plant into the gravel. Now I'm seeing some online saying you can't plant java fern.....some saying you can.

Anyway, the plant is going all black from the bottom up. I haven't got my arms in the tank yet but I don't think it's algae.

What should I do?

Trying to upload pic but it can't get it to work right now.....

If you do plant it only plant the roots not the rhizome. How long has it been planted ?

If you do plant it only plant the roots not the rhizome. How long has it been planted ?

2-3 weeks. Ok I will take it out and look. Not sure what the rhizome looks like on a java fern. I did make sure not to bury it on the anubias I got but didn't realize that was something to be aware of with java fern also.

Sigh....so much to learn!

The rhizome is the green stem that the leaves are attachted to only plant the roots

Ok I took it out. HArd to plant only the roots as there's not much but I did my best. Do you think it will recover?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401305920.015287.jpg

I do believe it will recover my java fern does the same thing but has around 50 leaves. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401307390.490892.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401311611.129053.jpg it turn black too i think if just means low iron even though i use co2 ferts root tabs (the java ferns roots are in the gravel now

When you start to see some new growth wait till the new leaves are about an inch then cut off the black ones. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401312153.339785.jpg
This is my tank at the moment (29 gal) I put soil at under the gravel about a month ago and my plants are growing at around 2-3 inches per week if you are going for a well planted tank without really bright light I recommend dirting your tank.

Back
Top Bottom