Java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you encourage growth on Java Fern? I just recently attached some baby ferns on rocks and I was wondering what can I do to make them grow/thicken faster. Thank you :)

Pics..

Attachments

• image-594224487.jpg
    image-594224487.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 164
  • image-4067698170.jpg
    image-4067698170.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 148
roydooms said:
How do you encourage growth on Java Fern? I just recently attached some baby ferns on rocks and I was wondering what can I do to make them grow/thicken faster. Thank you :)

Good looking rocks in your tank.

Getting them to grow depends on different issues. What kind of lighting is usually the main thing to look at. If you use aqua salt, that may be an issue too.

I've found placment to be an issue in my tank, but I need to protect them from my rambunctious fancy fantail :) so they're kinda hidden.

Java ferns are one of easier plants so it may just take some time and before you know it'll grow. You could always try using flourish by Seachem, I just picked it up so no real results.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Mr. Limpet said:
Good looking rocks in your tank.

Getting them to grow depends on different issues. What kind of lighting is usually the main thing to look at. If you use aqua salt, that may be an issue too.

I've found placment to be an issue in my tank, but I need to protect them from my rambunctious fancy fantail :) so they're kinda hidden.

Java ferns are one of easier plants so it may just take some time and before you know it'll grow. You could always try using flourish by Seachem, I just picked it up so no real results.

Thank you. I took the rocks from the parking lot at work. Lol :D

How does the aqua salt affect it? Good or bad? I don't use salt. I'm just curious.

The placement is near the middle. I have 2-6,500K and 2-10,000K. I dose iron, trace, flourish, excel and potassium. Nitrogen and phosphorus when needed. All seachem products. Even with all these ferts the mother java plants are still the same size except that they already produced some babies. Not that much though. 5 baby javas from 2 plants is not a lot.

roydooms said:
Thank you. I took the rocks from the parking lot at work. Lol :D

How does the aqua salt affect it? Good or bad? I don't use salt. I'm just curious.

The placement is near the middle. I have 2-6,500K and 2-10,000K. I dose iron, trace, flourish, excel and potassium. Nitrogen and phosphorus when needed. All seachem products. Even with all these ferts the mother java plants are still the same size except that they already produced some babies. Not that much though. 5 baby javas from 2 plants is not a lot.

Mine haven't produced a single off shoot, so IMO you're doing pretty good. With what you're doing you should be able to get most any plant you want. So no c02?

Plants can't handle the salt is what I was told. Not sure what it does, but if you have to use it for any reason they have to be removed or QT the fish.

Mr. Limpet said:
Mine haven't produced a single off shoot, so IMO you're doing pretty good. With what you're doing you should be able to get most any plant you want. So no c02?

Plants can't handle the salt is what I was told. Not sure what it does, but if you have to use it for any reason they have to be removed or QT the fish.

No CO2 system yet but that is my next target :D Plants are doing great though. Just not growing fast enough for me. I should start buying dry ferts instead. They are a lot cheaper but you order them online.

roydooms said:
No CO2 system yet but that is my next target :D Plants are doing great though. Just not growing fast enough for me. I should start buying dry ferts instead. They are a lot cheaper but you order them online.

Not related to java ferns, but do you have just gravel or some kind of soil too?

I'm interested in doing something like a multi layer soil/sand thing soon. C02 is a good add on.

Mr. Limpet said:
Not related to java ferns, but do you have just gravel or some kind of soil too?

I'm interested in doing something like a multi layer soil/sand thing soon. C02 is a good add on.

Just regular gravel. I didn't plan on building a planted tank and I didn't know there was a specific substrate for plants. In regards to layering, check my thread. If you read the whole thing you'll see that I changed my mind to just getting a CO2 system. I was advised to just do that instead of changing substrate in an established tank. Starting from scratch with no fish is a different thing.

My java ferns love Flourish and medium-low light. They're not fast growers under the best conditions, but my ferns grow faster in tanks with lower light. A good dose of Flourish and several of the leaves start getting dark green tips that signals the start of a baby fern.

My personal experience with java fern is also that it will grow very slowly at first, but as it adjusts to the particular conditions in your tank, it will start to grow a lot faster... And as the plants start to multiply you will soon have more than you know what to do with... I think the key might just be a bit of patience :).

I have some java fern in a 14g and its doing great. It's getting 1.5wpg and not doing ferts or anything. A few leaves have a couple babies in them but one has like 8 or 9. I'm going to try to attach some to some deiftwood and see how the do in my 40g with 2wpg.

Back
Top Bottom