Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flibble86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this a java fern?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130719_173709.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130719_173709.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20130719_173734.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130719_173734.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 86
Tie it on a piece of DW or rock. Is it your only plant? If so you probably won't need to add any fertilizer.

Yeah it's the only real plant in there. I've got another piece of bogwood in there, I've now slightly turned the java fern around a bit so the brown roots( ?) are touching it. Will this encourage it to spread itself onto this?

It might but you'd be better off using 100% cotton black or brown thread to tie it onto the DW. This will keep the java fern in one place and allow it to attach over time. It take time for them to firmly attach.

I used some very fine fishing line to tie some baby plants on to my driftwood. It's almost invisible underwater. Will just have to snip the line once the plant matures.

It depends... are they beginning to grow baby plants on those areas or is the leaf actually turning brown and dying. If it's the last then cut it off, that's what I do.

Can't tell if you have any baby plants on there. Usually, it starts with some brown spots, and you'll see a tiny leaf and a few thin brown roots beginning to grow there. When you get a baby with two or three small leaves, you can actually pull it off the dying leaf and attach it somewhere in your tank.

Once the whole leaf is brown, it will just bend and snap easily off the rhisome, or main trunk of the plant.

Those couple leaves appear to be totally turning brown and personally I would remove them.

Back
Top Bottom