Java moss failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vexxiang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep trying to get some java moss on my rocks/driftwood and I keep failing. I've tried tying it, stuffing it in cracks, or pinning it between two objects, and it always just disintegrates and makes a mess in the tank for me to clean up.

Ive seen moss on driftwood growing spectaularly but i have no idea how to achieve that. What am I missing?

I'm new to live plants and I took a piece of my driftwood and drilled small holes to stuff the moss in. I also made a cave with flat stones and placed moss in between. I placed everything then filled my tank. Do you have other plants? Maybe your lighting is off. My tank is in my office and gets window light and I have two 13w daylight cfl on.

I have other thriving plants. The moss are usually demolished within a day. Maybe the fish are thrashing it at night.

I am an plant newb and I have never tried java moss but I have been reading a lot about people having problems with java moss today and the general consensus was java moss does better in cooler temperatures. The people who had problems growing it had temperatures at or above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Like I said, I know nothing lol just thought I would mention it...

Agree with the superglue. I use the gel type and find it easy to attach and later on trim. I have found that mosses typically like temps cooler than 77 but will acclimate over time to higher temps. They are slow growers do patience is needed at first.

Back
Top Bottom