Java moss while cycling !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added yesterday a java moss to my tank tied it to my driftwood, but i am worried that while i start cycling the tank it will die of high ammonia and one more question d i need any feritlizer for it?

I added yesterday a java moss to my tank tied it to my driftwood, but i am worried that while i start cycling the tank it will die of high ammonia and one more question d i need any feritlizer for it?

It should be fine, you would need outrageous levels of ammonia to burn it. And java moss would grow if you threw some in a pale and put it outside all year long lol. Fertilizers will help it grow quicker and more lush but it can be grown without anything at all.

Liquid fertlizer is cheap and you wont need a lot if that is the only plant in there. I would just do a comprehensive flourish fertilizer and put a cap full in each week.

Plants During the Nitrogen Cycle

Hello ch...

Low levels of nitrogen are good for the plant. That's why you want them in the tank during the cycling process. However, that's if you're cycling the tank with fish. The steady production of ammonia and nitrite from the fish waste is useful to aquatic plants.

I've never cycled a tank without fish. Fishless cycling requires higher levels of ammonia which can potentially burn sensitive plants. I'd leave them out of the tank if you're doing a fishless cycle.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B

Aquatic plants actually use ammonia very well and many do a fishless cycle with plants. They can in fact speed cycling in a tank, although 1 java fern won't do much. As long as you do not dose ammonia over 4ppm they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom