java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is exactly what I have in my little tank! Obviously with the lilaeopsis as my carpeter, I did want something smaller in front of the lilaeopsis but thought one would out compete the other so stuck to the lily.

The good thing about the anubias is you can attach it to your wood and give the planted effect of the different levels. It will eventually root itself on there. Also it is used with growing low on river beds at greater depths so naturally receives low light levels. And then your java fern is a good space filler and gives the densely planted look.

Yeh I think that is known as elodea here where I am from! Anyway it is a good competitor for algae as it takes a while to root since it takes most its nutrients directly from the water.

It won't spread quickly as such, but will definitely grow in length. I believe you could then clip it an replant the strands.

The only time I had it was when I had guppy fry, I was told they would nibble at it to eat the tiny parasites that live in the small leaves. Mine just grew on the surface unplanted and I soon had a few pieces a couple feet in length!

NW England in Cumbria. Yeah you can float it aswell I believe. It will start to sprout roots and people would say it probably does better planted but I floated mine for my fry.

Rule of thumb is generally low carpeting plant need higher light since they are sitting pretty deep. I have never kept that plant so can't really offer help on it but I have heard it is reasonably low maintenance and does look good.

What kind of tank do you have? Usually will say somewhere. Or you can look up the specs on the net. Also on the light tubes themselves it may be printed, usually in watts or kilowatts.

It may say somewhere T8/T5 or another number. T5 lighting is high and contains White light which mimics daylight and is therefore better for plant growing. T8 is ok and looks good for lighting up your aquarium but is usually not in the right spectrum for growing plants, particular plants that require 'high' light. I believe you can replace bulbs directly with T5 light tubes fairly cost effectively if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom