JBJ 28g Nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's beautiful! I would like to ask a question however. What are the bowls for and are they standard Tupperware or are they something you buy at an lfs? No one ever suggested that for my mushrooms, and, fortunately they grew onto the rocks with no trouble. Now, my candy cane....that's another story.

Those are regular tupperware bowls from the kitchen (a whole 'nother conversation from the wife :D ). I picked up two mushrooms in that deal... a green striped & a green/purple rhodactis. Whenever 'shrooms are stressed, they slime, which prevents them from sticking with super-glue. You just set them on top of a bunch of rubble rock in the bowl, which protects them from the tank currents, and they will attach their foot to a piece.... usually within a week or so. You can then take that piece they are attached to and glue that to a larger rock.

You made the right decision there!!

Yeah, I think so.....

Gorgeous tank! Yeah, if your mushrooms can't handle the flow until they're fully attached... it means you're doing it right. :)

Thanks!

The green stripe is just a wee lad (about 3/4" across), and he's pretty much attached, just giving him a bit more time to be sure. I'd really hate for him to blow off into all that rock.... probably never find him again without tearing the whole tank apart.
The rhodactis on the other hand... he's in pretty bad shape. It was right in the middle of a split, but not quite done. That guy went to town on him with a scalpel trying to get him off that rock... Looks like he's finally starting to heal, and from the looks of it, it may have finished the split in the process. It's definitely not dead, just gonna take him some time.

I always use the same method you use with the cups for mushrooms. It's a great method. I usually went with disposable plastic cups cut in half just because I was always cutting and attaching "something" and the Tupperware never made it back to the kitchen. >_<' lol

. I just wish I could figure out my candy cane. It just sits there, attached to a piece of reef rubble. Tomorrow, I'm going to move it to a rock shelf. We'll see what happens.

Ok, I read further back in the thread. I never thought of the "bowls", but next week when I go to my favorite lfs, I may wind up coming home with more mushrooms as they are so beautiful. My red/orange mushrooms have grown from a small four heads to eight inches, still four heads, that drape gracefully over several rocks. Sounds like a poem, huh?

. I just wish I could figure out my candy cane. It just sits there, attached to a piece of reef rubble.

:blink: What's it supposed to do..... were you expecting a song & a dance??? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist......

Ok, I read further back in the thread. I never thought of the "bowls", but next week when I go to my favorite lfs, I may wind up coming home with more mushrooms as they are so beautiful. My red/orange mushrooms have grown from a small four heads to eight inches, still four heads, that drape gracefully over several rocks. Sounds like a poem, huh?

I love some of the mushrooms that are out there. So far, my favorite that I have is my Spiderman. Pic doesn't do him justice since he's small & blends in with the rock. If you go back to the full tank shot, he's right above the left bowl...

Attachments

• photo12.JPG
    photo12.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 82
Wow! he is beautiful! called a Spiderman, huh? have to check that out. i still have a couple of days before i go to the lfs. i'm chomping at the bit. i will be so glad to finally get to go. still have to decide what to get. a blenny, just don't know for sure which one, and either a longfinned fairy wrasse or a royal gramma. never seen the wrasse, so he may be too big, not like the pics i've seen, etc. when i was told i couldn't get a bangaii cardinal because they school and the tank's not big enough, my heart was broken. i wanted something unusual, but beautiful at the same time. that's why i switched to the wrasse. leaning toward the bicolor blenny. still studying on corals.

Decisions, decisions.... :lol:

I was in the same boat with the cardinal. I really wanted a pajama, but not a school of them.... :(

Looked it up, and I'll have to amend the name of that mushroom.... It's a Superman, not a Spiderman. The Spiderman is a hairy rhodactis with the same colors, where the hairs look like red & blue "webs".

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Whichever, it is still beautiful. I've spent the evening researching corals and I have some ideas but, frankly, I will have to just go and see them and talk to the lfs. So many of them have the names the same as others, so I tried to get scientific names, but when I looked them up, they didn't appear to be the same that I saw on another website or my books. Decisions, decisions....:ermm:

Thank you.... He's one of a few I picked up from a guy who lists corals on Ebay, but happens to be local, so I don't have to pay for overnight shipping. (y) Unfortunately, he specializes in mostly Acro SPS, which I have absolutely no aspirations of messing with, but he does offer other stuff from time to time. My biggest goals as far as SPS difficulty level in this tank are fingering montipora, and then some birdsnest after the tank matures a bit.

Everybody's ALIVE!!!!!! :dance:

Just got back from a week's vacation to pick up my son from Parris Island. I was worried the whole time we were gone after hearing so many horror stories of nuked tanks after a vacation. Luckily the girl who house-sat for us has experience with SW tanks.... she even did a couple small pwc's in between feeding days!! Extra tip in the jar for that one..... (y)

Everybody's ALIVE!!!!!! :dance:

Just got back from a week's vacation to pick up my son from Parris Island. I was worried the whole time we were gone after hearing so many horror stories of nuked tanks after a vacation. Luckily the girl who house-sat for us has experience with SW tanks.... she even did a couple small pwc's in between feeding days!! Extra tip in the jar for that one..... (y)

wow nice! can't get better than that lol

Back
Top Bottom