JBJ 28g Nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phranque said:
Well, I'm continuing daily small pwc's, and the clown appears to be doing much better, but I'm going to make a guess and say he's going to be the only fish in the tank.........

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/lets-see-who-gets-the-reference-220739.html

Ouch! LMAO Well, at least nitrates will be easier to handle. I know a guy who had a Picasso trigger bite a piece of meat out of the back of his hand. He got so mad he grabbed the thing and pulled it out of the tank and fussed at it. It never bit him again. True story. I was with him and saw the whole thing (he was working at a LFS).

CorallineAlgae said:
Ouch! LMAO Well, at least nitrates will be easier to handle. I know a guy who had a Picasso trigger bite a piece of meat out of the back of his hand. He got so mad he grabbed the thing and pulled it out of the tank and fussed at it. It never bit him again. True story. I was with him and saw the whole thing (he was working at a LFS).

Lmao! That's the greatest thing I've ever heard lol its as if it was a dog or cat haha, good stuff... proceed with your thread(sorry for interrupting) :)

THAT is hilarious!!! And, yes, a single fish (or two) was all I was really wanting, but the wife is in the background... "it NEEDS fish!!" No, sweetie, it's a REEF tank. I'm doing this to concentrate on raising corals..... "But.... it NEEDS fish"
After she saw that I looked at her and asked if she really wants to drop $30-$60 on another fish and likely watch him beat it to death.... "Uuuuhhh, I guess that wouldn't be a good idea." YES!!!!!!(y)

Haha dude she is right, a reef tank needs fish!! I like my fish more then my corals, nano fish darting in and out of rocks looks really cool.

I agree. You need a couple more fish to add even more color to the tank. It will add more movement, too. I'm not saying to do it now. Give it a month or two. And don't get a little bitty one. Nemo needs a sumo wrestler! Now I'm worried about sticking my hand in my tank. I have two clowns. Thank goodness they're juvies.

You can always get a cleaner shrimp. Your clown shouldn't bother it, it won't add much bioload, and they're beautiful and interesting to watch. Your wife may even like it more than another fish!

I agree about the cleaner shrimp! I wasn't sure about my cleaner shrimp when I first got it, but he has so much personality and is always interested in everything- he's my favorite "fish" in my tank now!! :)

You can always get a cleaner shrimp. Your clown shouldn't bother it, it won't add much bioload, and they're beautiful and interesting to watch. Your wife may even like it more than another fish!

Got one with the fish & corals.... look back at page 6/post 54/bottom right pic. And, yes, your right.... he's a very amusing critter to have in the tank, especially at feeding time. That thing will literally leap up off the rock and cling onto the tip of the feeding tube to catch food.
The guy also had a gorgeous fire shrimp that I almost took instead, but he said the skunk cleaner was much more active during the day, where his fire only came out at night.

I agree. You need a couple more fish to add even more color to the tank. It will add more movement, too. I'm not saying to do it now. Give it a month or two. And don't get a little bitty one. Nemo needs a sumo wrestler! Now I'm worried about sticking my hand in my tank. I have two clowns. Thank goodness they're juvies.

Dang it.... will you people quit siding with my wife!!! :banghead:

MY TANK!!!!! :lol:

I have been thinking about it, though, and what I may be able to do is get a new fish and QT it for 6 weeks or so, and then swap them. Pull the clown into QT while the other fish acclimates to the tank and establishes territory, and then put the clown back in.... I'd just hate for that not to work, though.
I love the look of a purple firefish, but I guessing one of those is going to be way too submissive for this guy.... thinking maybe a six-line. Any thoughts???

Phranque said:
Dang it.... will you people quit siding with my wife!!! :banghead:

MY TANK!!!!! :lol:

I have been thinking about it, though, and what I may be able to do is get a new fish and QT it for 6 weeks or so, and then swap them. Pull the clown into QT while the other fish acclimates to the tank and establishes territory, and then put the clown back in.... I'd just hate for that not to work, though.
I love the look of a purple firefish, but I guessing one of those is going to be way too submissive for this guy.... thinking maybe a six-line. Any thoughts???

Your fish just sounds so aggressive. If you do add another fish that would certainly be a careful way to do it. A six line would be a safer bet than the firefish. He'd be leaping out first chance he got.

Another option is to trade your ill tempered clown for the firefish and get a different clown after the firefish settles in. Not the best option, but some people look for aggressive clowns to fit into a tank with other tough fish. One man's beast is another man's buddy. Finding a new home for a fish that doesn't fit into your system isn't bad practice in a case like yours. It's when people buy fish that should never be kept in their tanks in the first place that's bad. It's not the case here.

I have a fairly bad tempered clown but he is absolutly fine with me chromis they are a nice looking fish and in my ex are a good water quality indicater

Sorry' in ny experience they are a good water quality indicators when nitrates and phosphates become unstable and high they tent to turn purple once a wc they look nice and bright also look nice at night

hey, chromis would be great. they are the approximate size that i'm thinking your clown is. the only thing is they are schooling so you'd have to get three or more and that would be it for fish. they come in beautiful colors and have a wonderful glow under blue moonlights. but Coralline's idea of a trade is awfully good, if your wife doesn't kill you and you can find someone who wants a mean, four year old clown.
i love the purple firefish, too, but i think its too docile and delicate even for my tank. and they are very small. i'm still considering, as you know from my other thread, i'm still stocking....slowly.

Royal gramma can also work well they may have a little scrap but providing there are hiding spaces in my exp they tend to leave each other alone after a scrap

from what i've read and been told, you should stock your more docile fish first so they can establish territories. you already have the aggressive one. if you do like you said you would, putting the clown in QT and introducing other fish will likely work, and royal grammas will work although they are still small, they're bigger than a firefish. and they are beautiful, too. you might want to consider another moderately aggresive fish and again QT the clown. there are so many options you have, and we will keep coming up with more, so you're stuck with us.:brows:

Re-homing him is a possibility, but that'd be an absolute last resort....I'd rather try & work with him first. It very well could be that he just associates "The Hand" with feeding, and might be OK with other fishies.... hopefully. Don't know yet.

Not a big chromis fan, but a royal gamma is another definite possibility.

And, yeah, I had planned on a fish or two prior to the clown, but with that guy tearing down his tank within a few days, it was a "right now" decision to either get him at a great deal or not....

Anyway, current pic of the tank after some coral arranging.... Mushrooms are still in their bowls, though. They are starting to attach to some rocks, but not quite strong enough for the tank current. We'll see how everybody likes their new spots.

Attachments

• photo9.JPG
    photo9.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 93
It's beautiful! I would like to ask a question however. What are the bowls for and are they standard Tupperware or are they something you buy at an lfs? No one ever suggested that for my mushrooms, and, fortunately they grew onto the rocks with no trouble. Now, my candy cane....that's another story.

Phranque said:
And, yeah, I had planned on a fish or two prior to the clown, but with that guy tearing down his tank within a few days, it was a "right now" decision to either get him at a great deal or not....

You made the right decision there!!

Phranque said:
Anyway, current pic of the tank after some coral arranging.... Mushrooms are still in their bowls, though. They are starting to attach to some rocks, but not quite strong enough for the tank current. We'll see how everybody likes their new spots.

Gorgeous tank! Yeah, if your mushrooms can't handle the flow until they're fully attached... it means you're doing it right. :)

Back
Top Bottom