Jelly fish on glass and drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am 2 weeks into the cycling my 20g and last night i added some more bb since i had half of the bottle left, and this morning i saw a bunch of these little things like jelly fish attached to the glass and driftwood, should i be worried about these? I have tried scraping them off with a mag float and after a few trys the just drift off into the tank.

I can see them moving back in forth with the current. They look like little clear dome btw

image-592239897.jpg

image-2805350479.jpg

image-453985020.jpg

image-1036563974.jpg

I can't really tell from the pic's but if they look like a sea anemone they are probably Hydra. Look up a picture of them and compare.

Could be fungus. Did you recently add any new plants? Do you have any snails? Just throwing out some possibilities.

Could be fungus. Did you recently add any new plants? Do you have any snails? Just throwing out some possibilities.

No, i have had the same plants for months and they are not snais because i never had any and these a clear/see through, their feet look to have small branchs on them.

Look up picsnof freshwater limpets and see if thats them.

Look up picsnof freshwater limpets and see if thats them.

No, thats not it. Let me give a better discripiton for you guys- looks like there are a bunch of beads (about a 1/100 the size of a microbubble) holding the dome shape (or should i say forming) together. There are hundreds growing on the glass and the current blows them in a circular movement. When i use the mag float on them after about 4 scrapes the float off into the rocks or are carried around in the current and eventually fall into the sand.

I took out the floating DW hoping to allow more current to pass thoughout the tank but it hasnt seemed to make much of an effect.
Im thinking somthing happend when i added bacteria, flourish, and ammonia at the same time it may have created a mutant organism or somthing?

It sounds a lot like a salt water hitch hiker that I used to have.

images

Try this link and see if anything there resembles it. The Worms!

It sounds like limpets to me though. They are clear, small domes, that you can see inside of. They move around on the glass. You may be seeing its body inside of the dome and thinking it is a cluster of bubbles. They can appear in large numbers but are harmless. Eventually the numbers will go down.

Well new occurence :( got home to find the plants covered in the little clear domes and there are a bunch of white worms crawling around the glass and rocks?

The plants are already eaten up and the worms move like inch worms, is there a way to nuke the tank without haveing to re-cycle? Can I just add a glass or two of ammonia to kill all of these?
Also noticed a bunch of free swimming worms like the white ones...

Last edited:
From your description I would say the worms are planaria. They are harmless and occur from overfeeding and a dirty tank. I forget if you said you tested your water. If not, you need to get a liquid aquarium test kit like API Master Test Kit and check your water condition. You say the plants were eaten? Planaria and limpets do not eat plants. Could you have baby snails? However, snails do not usually eat live plants. I will reread your first post and see if I can come up with any more help for you.

Right now the best thing you can do is do a good vacuuming of your tank and a large water change. Keep vacuuming daily and you should be able to get ahead of the problem. I cannot remember if you have tank inhabitants but if you do anything you use to kill the pest will probably harm the tank inhabitants. I have found that the best way to proceed in most cases, unless your fish are sick, is to do lots of vacuuming and water changes. Remove dead leaves from your plants to limit decaying plant matter.

Okay, I went back and read your first post. It seems you are going through "new tank syndrome". First you need to test your water and post the results. Too high of ammonia can harm plants and cause them to die. So can lack of nutrients during a cycle. While cycling your tank, there will come a time when the PH will plummet. If you do not know this has happened and do not correct it, your BB will die. It can also affect your plants. I believe the things you are seeing are harmless and will eventually correct themselves. I went through every problem in the book when I did my first tank. Water changes will not affect your cycling by the way. You didn't mention that any fish or other live things in your tank so you could use a treatment but they usually cause more problems in the long run. Anything that kills the things you have would more than likely kill any snails or invertebrates you might add to your tank later. Most contain copper and it never leaves your tank.

Post your water test and we might be able to help you more.

Okay, I went back and read your first post. It seems you are going through "new tank syndrome". First you need to test your water and post the results. Too high of ammonia can harm plants and cause them to die. So can lack of nutrients during a cycle. While cycling your tank, there will come a time when the PH will plummet. If you do not know this has happened and do not correct it, your BB will die. It can also affect your plants. I believe the things you are seeing are harmless and will eventually correct themselves. I went through every problem in the book when I did my first tank. Water changes will not affect your cycling by the way. You didn't mention that any fish or other live things in your tank so you could use a treatment but they usually cause more problems in the long run. Anything that kills the things you have would more than likely kill any snails or invertebrates you might add to your tank later. Most contain copper and it never leaves your tank.

Post your water test and we might be able to help you more.

I am doing a fishless cycle, i have never seen this with any fish-in cycle, i dose 3ml of ammonia a day which puts me at 4ppm. Never had any snails, here are my test results-
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrates- 40ppm
Nitrites-5ppm
Ph-8.4
useing API master kit

My Ph was 7.6 last week so whats up with it? Also can anyone tell me why the 2 Ns are so high? Thanks.

The nitrates will only be reduced with a water change. I know they say WCs are not necessary with a fishless cycle but sometimes they are in case the nitrites/nitrates get too high. This may also bring down the pH. The nitrites always take longer than the ammonia to process. I would step back on the daily ammonia; either skip a day or reduce it so that you get 1-2 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom