Jennifer JH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer JH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm the newest "newbie" on this site and have a question I'm hoping someone can help with. I have a 50 gal. freshwater community tank @ my office that I just installed a canister filter in. I left the old filter system running for now thinking it would take a while for the canister system to become active. Good idea or not so good? If yes, how long should I leave the old filter in place? Obviously if I don't need to I can just pull the plug! Thanks for your help! JJH

I'm the newest "newbie" on this site and have a question I'm hoping someone can help with. I have a 50 gal. freshwater community tank @ my office that I just installed a canister filter in. I left the old filter system running for now thinking it would take a while for the canister system to become active. Good idea or not so good? If yes, how long should I leave the old filter in place? Obviously if I don't need to I can just pull the plug! Thanks for your help! JJH

Why not just take the media from the old canister and put it in with the new one. That would seed the new filter.

Keeping both running is a good idea. I would run both for a few weeks at least. Or, as suggested, move the media from the first filter to the new canister if you can. A third option would be leaving both filters running indefinitely. No harm in extra filtration!

And welcome to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom